- Both the Woodfield and Killedan Taaffes were descended from James Taaffe of Greyfield, county Mayo and his wife Mary, granddaughter of Terence MacDonagh. A branch of this family inherited some of the Ferrall lands in county Roscommon and in the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1876 James Taaffe of Woodfield held an estate of 9030 acres at Woodfield, near Kilkelly, in the parish of Aghamore, barony of Costello, county Mayo. He sold 5808 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 16 May 1904.
- Killedan townland, parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was church land held by the Knox family of Castlereagh, near Killala, who leased it and other lands to the Taaffes. The Taaffes of Killedan were descended from James and Marie Taaffe, Marie was a niece of the Catholic lawyer, Terence MacDonagh. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Reverend Leonard Strong held Killedan townland and James McManus occupied the house. Anthony Rafftery, Raiftearaí, the poet, grew up on this estate. In the 1870s a William Taaffe of the United States of America owned over 800 acres in county Mayo. It is not clear if he was a member of the Taaffe family of Killedan.
- The Taaffe estate contained lands in the parishes of Bekan, Kilmovee, Annagh and Aghamore, barony of Costello, county Mayo and in the parish of Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. All of the estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1854 and the county Mayo part was purchased 'in trust' by Mr W. Thomas of Galway. Philip Taaffe of Kilkelly, county Mayo, owned 1,313 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Mrs Mary O. Taaffe sold 832 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 16 Mar 1916. McTernan notes that the Doobeg estate in the barony of Corran, county Sligo had been part of the Taaffe property until 1814.
Ferrall (Co Roscommon)
- In the early 19th century John Farrell or Ferrall acquired large tracts of land mainly in county Roscommon, including the Ormsby's Grange estate, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and land belonging to the Lysters in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone. John Ferrall died in 1823 and was succeeded by his nephew, Daniel Henry Ferrall. In 1828 Daniel Farrell was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Mr Kincaid of Dublin was agent to some of Daniel Farrell's estate. Desmond Norton's book refers to letters concerning the administration of D.H. Ferrall's estates during the Famine period by Stewart and Kincaid, land agents. Joseph Kincaid held two townlands in the parish of Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Daniel H. Ferrall died in 1853 and was succeeded by his four sisters and their descendants, the Nolan, Taaffe, Conmee and Irwin families. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Daniel Ferrall held land in the parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, Kilcolagh, barony of Frenchpark, Baslick, barony of Castlereagh, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, Kilteevan, Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Killukin, barony of Boyle and Bumlin, Kilcooley, Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. In June 1859 over 10,000 acres in counties Sligo and Roscommon, belonging to Louisa Bridget Taaffe, wife of Edmond Taaffe, Henry Taaffe Ferrall and John Nolan Ferrall, were advertised for sale. Lands in the barony of Corran, county Sligo, the property of John Ferrall, were offered for sale in December 1859. Unsold parts of the county Roscommon estate were advertised for sale again on 24 June 1862 and again in February 1863. Over 1,200 acres of the same estate in the barony of Castlereagh were offered for sale in May 1867 and 1,800 acres of the Frenchpark part of the estate in April 1868 and February 1869. Again in July 1875 over 900 acres of the Ferrall estate in the barony of Frenchpark was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1906 Beechwood was occupied by Clare M. Nolan who also held untenanted lands mainly in the parish of Kilteevan, barony of Ballintober South. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Clare M. Nolan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 June 1912.