Daly (Dunsandle & Carnakelly)
- The Daly family of Dunsandle derived from Daly of Carnakelly in the parish of Kiltullagh. They bought the Dunsandle estate from the Clanricarde family in 1708. By the 1870s they owned one of the largest estates in county Galway, amounting to over 33,000 acres and wielded considerable political power throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. Denis Daly had married Henrietta Maxwell, heiress of the Earl of Farnham, in the late 18th century. James Daly of Dunsandle is recorded as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824 and the owner of lands in the parish of Kilconieron in the 1830s. Parts of the Daly estate were in the parishes of Ballymacward, Clonkeen, Killimordaly and Monivea in the barony of Tiaquin. The family also held lands in the parishes of Fahy, Killimorbologue and Meelick, in the barony of Longford. The family also had connections with the Matthew family of Thomastown, county Tipperary where they acquired an estate including much of the town of Thurles. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Bowes Daly held land in the parishes of Gaile, baroy of Middlethird and Fertiana, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary. In the 1870s the Honourable Bowes Daly owned 1,415 acres in county Tipperary while Lord Dunsandle owned a further 3,514 acres in county Tipperary. Rev. Robert Daly, son of Denis Daly, MP, served as Church of Ireland bishop of Cashel and Waterford from 1843-1872. He was the lessor of property in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilcaragh, barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford in 1848.
Lord Dunsandle accepted an offer on over 1500 acres of his estate from the Congested Districts Board after 1909.
Bodkin (Castletown & Mountsilk)
- From the 17th century the Bodkins were established in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. John Bodkin leased the Castletown estate in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, from the Echlin family in 1776 and the Bingarra estate from the Bodkins of Thomastown in 1789. He also purchased land from Denis Bowes Daly in the barony of Kilconnell in 1794. He became a very extensive stock breeder and land holder. He left his property to his two sons Dominick and John Bodkin. They both were indebted to their brother-in-law, Anthony Clarke and the Bodkin estates were entangled in protracted litigation for a long period of time, resulting in their sale in the Encumbered and Landed Estates' Courts. Bingarra, barony of Tiaquin (bought by Henry Hall) and Ballybogan, barony of Kilconnell (bought by Lord Dunsandle), were advertised for sale in November 1855 and Laughill, barony of Tiaquin in November 1858. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bodkin owned three townlands in the parish of Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe, which were advertised for sale by Thomas James Bodkin in 1864, with Ballydoogan and the islands in the barony of Kilconnell. John Samuel Barrett of Greenhills, was the purchaser of some of these lots. The representatives of Thomas J. Bodkin are recorded as holding over 350 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1808 John Bodkin of Bingarra married Margaret Bodkin of Annagh and their grandson Martin Bodkin inherited the Annagh estate, barony of Clare, following the death of his cousin Robert Bodkin of Annagh in 1881.
- Extensive lands in counties Mayo and Galway were granted to George French between 1677 and 1679. He settled at Frenchbrook in the parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. His daughter and heiress married Denis Daly of Carrownakelly, county Galway from whom descend the Dalys of Dunsandle, inheritors of the French estate.