- The Goughs were a Wiltshire family members of whom settled in the south of Ireland in the 1620s. Sir Hugh Gough purchased the Lough Cutra estate in the late 1840s. Major extensions were made to the castle in the 1850s. In the mid 19th century Lord Gough also held land in the parish of Ballysheehan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Viscount Gough is recorded as the owner of over 6000 acres in county Galway in addition to property in Dublin, Queen's County and 893 acres in county Tipperary. In 1906 Lord Gough held over 850 acres of untenanted demesne land in the townland of Loughcooter demesne as well as lands in other neighbouring townlands.
- The Gough family were originally from Wiltshire and descend from Reverend Hugh Gough, brother of Reverend Francis Gough, Bishop of Limerick (1629-1634). By the end of the 18th century their main residence was at Woodstock, county Limerick. Griffith's Valuation records George Gough owning a number of townlands in the parishes of Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam, some of his estate was held from the Bishop of Limerick. George Gough of Birdhill, Clonmel, owned 2,398 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. His uncle Hugh was created Viscount Gough in 1849.