- Originally large landowners in the Kinvarra area of south county Galway, the Kilkelly estates had been confiscated in the 17th century and granted to the Ffrenchs. A branch of the Kilkelly family bought the Drimcong estate from the Lynches in the early 19th century. James Kilkelly held five townlands in the parish and barony of Moycullen, and two townlands, Derreen and Leenaun, in the parish and barony of Ross, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Surgeon General Charles Kilkelly of India owned 3,107 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 Charles E. Kilkelly still held over a hundred acres of untenanted land at Drimcong.
- By a patent under the Acts of Settlement, dated 14 Mar 1679, Isidore Lynch of Drimcong, was granted over 2,700 acres in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway. The Lynch estate was bought by the Kilkellys in 1804. An Isadore Lynch of Arrandale, Spiddal, owned 1,366 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.
- The original Kilkelly estate had centred on Cloghballymore in the parish of Killeenavarra, barony of Dunkellin. The family lost this estate in the 1640s when they were transplanted to Raheen and Lydican. Due to debt they were obliged to sell these estates to the O'Hara family in the 1790s. Several of the family were in the legal profession or became agents for other families such as the Ffrenches who succeeded them at Cloghballymore.