- The Johnston family from Fermanagh purhased this land in Leitrim in the early 18th century. In 1802 McParlan recorded Counsellor Johnston of Oakfield on his list of "resident gentlemen of property". In the mid 19th century St George Robert Johnston, third son of Robert Johnston of Kinlough House, owned a townland in each of the parishes of Killoscobe and Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Ballaghnagrosheen, in the parish of Killoscobe was bought from the sale of the estate of George Ruttledge in 1851. In 1861 Stephen Johnston offered for sale the house and demesne at Mount Prospect, barony of Rosclogher, previously let to the Connolly estate. Weir and Elizabeth Johnston offered for sale almost 400 acres in the parish of Killasnet, barony of Rosclogher in January 1869. This appears to have been leased from the Earl of Leitrim's estate through the Armstrong and Cullen estates. In the 1870s William Johnston of Kinlough owned 10,633 acres in county Leitrim while his brother St George Johnston, who lived at Rathcline House, Lanesborough, county Longford, owned 1,139 acres in county Galway and 217 acres in county Leitrim. In 2007 Rathcline House was still extant but for sale. An offer from the Congested Districts Board on over 250 acres of Forbes Johnston's estate was accepted in 1913.
- The Connolly family leased lands from the Johnston estate in Kinlough and there is some suggestion that they acted in the capacity of agents for them. In 1861 the house and demesne at Mount Prospect as well as other lands were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by Stephen Johnston. For more information on the Connolly estate see http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Prospect