- McParlan records Mr. Madden as a non-resident proprietor in county Leitrim in 1802. John Madden is recorded as owning 3500 acres in Leitrim in 1878 and also held land in county Monaghan. In the 1850s he held land in the parish of Cloone, barony of Mohill. His estate was centred on Hilton Park, county Monaghan. He held lands in Leitrim on long leases from the Archbishops of Tuam and by virtue of his marriage in 1864 to Caroline Clements, sister of the 4th Earl of Leitrim. http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/private/madden.htm. In the 1880s Bateman refers to John Madden of Hilton Park as the owner of over 3500 acres in county Leitrim and 4,600 acres in county Monaghan.
- John Ryder was Archbishop of Tuam in 1752 to 1775. His granddaughter married Samuel Madden of Hilton Park, Clones, county Monaghan, and records in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland show that the Ryders owned some land in the Tuam vicinity, which passed to the Madden family, including the townland of Cloontooa, parish of Tuam, barony of Clare.