- In the mid 19th century John Reilly prospered in business in the town of Belmullet and began to acquire lands. He bought land that had formerly been in the possession of the Houston and Nash families and in 1868 he leased more than 1000 acres from Reverend Sir William Palmer in the barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1876 Thomas F.O'Reilly of Carne House, Belmullet, owned 6472 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 he had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate and Noone writes of the sale of the estate in 1920 to the Board.
- In the mid 19th century Alexander George Richey, historian and author of books on land law, held an estate of about 13,500 acres in the parishes of Kilcommon and Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo, from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, on a lease in perpetuity, the last renewal dated 14 Mar 1857. Two months later the Encumbered Estates' Court conveyed the Richey estate to the Reverend Sir William Palmer. In 1869 and 1870 Palmer resold the estate in parts to Sir Alan Bellingham and John Reilly. In 1876 Alexander Richey owned 64 acres in county Mayo, which was later acquired by the Congested Districts' Board. The Richeys were related to the Brownes of Raheens.