- The Carter family of Castlemartin, county Kildare, inherited half the Shaen lands in the barony of Erris, county Mayo, through marriage with a Shaen heiress in 1750. In the mid 1820s they founded the town of Belmullet and developed it with the assistance of John Crampton, their agent, and the engineer, Patrick Knight. The Carters also owned the head rent of Corramore and Kilmore in the parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, and an undivided moiety of Tarmonbarry in the barony of Ballintober, county Roscommon. These lands were offered for sale with other estates in counties Meath, Kildare and King's county (county Offaly) in May 1855. In 1876 the Carter family owned over 40,000 acres in county Mayo and had a residence in Oxfordshire, England. Lands, the property of Adelaide Shaen-Carter were sold in the Land Judges' Court in June 1885. The purchaser was John Conway.
- In the 1660s Sir James Shaen of Kilmore, county Roscommon, Surveyor General of Ireland, bought a large portion of the barony of Erris, county Mayo, from Robert Viner, a London goldsmith, who had been granted the lands by Charles II in payment of a debt. In 1695 the estate of approximately 95,000 acres was inherited by Sir James' son Arthur and subsequently passed to the Bingham and Carter families through marriage with the two daughters and heiresses of Sir Arthur. Sir Arthur granted leases in perpetuity to the Protestant settlers he introduced onto his estate.
- Members of the Crampton family were rectors of the parishes of Headford on the border between counties Mayo and Galway and of the parish of Cong, county Mayo. They were also agents to the Carter family in the barony of Erris, county Mayo and helped develop the town of Belmullet. They appear to have acquired ownership of at least one townland named Carn Fowler in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris. In the 1870s George Ribton Crampton of Dublin and Logmore owned almost 600 acres in county Mayo.
- The estate of James Scott Molloy, assignee of Thomas O'Brien, at Fairfield, barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway and Kilmore, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June and December 1850. The Freeman's Journal reported in February 1851 that they were purchased by George and Horatio Lawder.