- Local sources suggest that the Fortescue interest in Waterford began with Edmund Fortescue of London, who married Sarah Aland of Coballymore. Sadleir refers to Lord Fortescue in 1775 who was "connected with the Grandison interest". Hugh, third Earl Fortescue, was the owner of almost 4000 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. He was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Corbally, Killea, Monamintra and Rathmoylan, barony of Gaultiere, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The family had extensive estates in different parts of England, notably at Castle Hill in Devon.
- The Aland family held property in county Waterford in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Sarah Aland married Edmund Fortescue and the Aland estates passed in to the Fortescue family who continued to own them throughout the nineteenth century.