- Sir James Cuff was granted the town and lands of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, under the Acts of Settlement, date of grant 1 Feb 1667. Under this grant he was given 1,872 acres in county Mayo which included lands in the baronies of Kilmaine and Carra and 1,963 acres in the county Galway baronies of Longford, Dunkellin, Clare and Ross. He also received a small parcel of land in county Clare. By a further grant dated 27 May 1669 he received smaller acreages in the baronies of Kilmaine and Tirawley, county Mayo and in the baronies of Longford and Ballymoe, county Galway. He also received grants of lands in the parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine and in the parishes of Kilbelfad and Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley. His son Gerald Cuff, collector of quit rents, bought land from Colonel John Browne of Westport, near Belcarra, barony of Carra and built Elmhall. He was succeeded by James Cuff of Elmhall and Ballinrobe Castle, who, in 1731, married Elizabeth, sister of Arthur Gore, 1st Earl of Arran. It was their son, James Cuff of Ballinrobe, who was created Baron Tyrawley of Ballinrobe in 1797. The Cuffs leased land in the barony of Tirawley from the Gores, mainly in the parishes of Ardagh, Crossmolina and Kilbelfad. The rest of their estates were in the parishes of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine and Drum, barony of Carra. Most of the estates of Lord Tyrawley passed to his daughter Jane and her husband, Colonel Charles Nesbitt Knox. Their granddaughter, Harriet Gardiner, for a time claimed his Belcarra estate. From the early 18th century a branch of the Cuff family had an estate at Creagh, just outside Ballinrobe, but this eventually reverted to the Knoxes. In 1876 Colonel St George Cuff of Deel Castle owned 3,205 acres in county Mayo. Monuments in memory of family members are located in the Church of Ireland graveyard, Ballinrobe. A branch of this family resided at Ballymoe in the 18th century and intermarried with the Caulfields of Donamon and the Bagots of Aghrane.
- James Knox of Broadlands Park (1774-1818) was the third son of Francis Knox of Rappa Castle. Both his mother and his wife were members of the Gore family, Earls of Arran. Part of his estate was inherited from his grandfather, Paul Annesley Gore of Belleek, and he took the additional surname of Gore in compliance with his grandfather's will. A daughter of Paul Annesley Gore married Right Honourable Henry King, brother of the Earl of Kingston, and the Kings held Belleek at the beginning of the 19th century. Francis Annesley Knox Gore was created a baronet in 1868 and when the male line died out in 1891 the family became Saunders Knox Gore. The Knox Gore estate was centred around the town of Ballina. It included lands in the parishes of Doonfeeny, Kilmoremoy and Ballysakerry, barony of Tirawley, in the parishes of Bohola, Killasser and Kilgarvan, barony of Gallen, in the parish and barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo and in the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo. In 1876 the estate amounted to 22,023 acres in county Mayo and 8569 acres in county Sligo. In 1906 Matilda and Sarah Knox Gore held over 1500 acres of untenanted land in the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo. Offers from the Congested Districts' Board to various members of the Knox Gore family had been accepted for the purchase of most of the county Mayo and Sligo estates by March 1916.
Gore (Castle Gore)
- In 1666 the Gores were granted extensive estates, over 14,700 acres, in the barony of Tirawley, county Mayo and in county Sligo under the Acts of Settlement. In 1686 the Manor of Castle-Gore was created from these estates and other lands bought by the Gores. They also acquired the Manor of Belleek from the O'Haras, Barons Tyrawley, and owned estates in county Donegal. Their county Mayo estates were centred on the parishes of Ardagh, Ballysakeery, Addergoole and Crossmolina. In the 19th century much of their estate was let to middlemen or administered by agents and the Gores were largely absentee, as they had inherited the Saunders' estate in county Wexford. John Perkins of Ballybroony near Ballina, was their main agent in the 1830s. In 1876 the Earl of Arran owned 29,644 acres in county Mayo and 6883 in county Donegal.
- The estates of the Barons Tyrawley were in the baronies of Gallen and Tirawley, county Mayo and included the Manor of Belleek at Ballina, which Charles O'Hara purchased with the Abbeys of Rosserk, Straide, Moyne and Rathfran from the trustees for the sale of some of the estates of Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork and 2nd Earl of Burlington on 17 Mar 1704/5. In a later sale on 24 July 1705 he bought Knockmore, county Sligo. Most of the land of the Barons Tyrawley was let on long leases or for lives renewable for ever to such families as the Knoxes and Gores. Charles O'Hara and his son James, both held the title Baron Tyrawley in the 18th century and were distinguished soldiers and diplomats.
- John Perkins was agent for some of the property owned by the Gores, Earls of Arran in the first half of the 19th century. He lived at Ballybroony and held some land in the parish of Ballysakeery, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo. The Perkins intermarried with the Fetherstonhaughs and the Dundas family. In 1876 a Mrs Perkins of Kells, county Meath, owned 844 acres in county Mayo while in 1878 George Dundas of Moynalty, Queen's county [county Laois] owned the same acreage. Eleanor Perkins married Doctor George Dundas and she was recorded as the occupier of Ballybroony House and 258 acres of untenanted land in 1906. The estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 21 Mar 1912.
- Sir Benjamin and William Chapman, two members of the Chapman family of Killua Castle, county Westmeath, owned a sporting estate in the parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo in the 1870s, formerly part of the estate of the Earls of Arran. They still owned untenanted land in the locality in 1906. Some of their county Mayo estate was occupied by Charles Thomas Warde at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Chapmans had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for their estate of 2,666 acres by March 1916.