- This family descend from a Cromwellian officer, Captain Thomas Sheppard, who was granted over 1,400 acres in the barony of Slievardagh and Compsey, county Tipperary in 1666. His eldest son James settled at Kilcunnahin Beg, parish of Ballingarry, in the early 18th century. Griffith's Valuation records the Sheppards holding land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond. The estate of George Bell, assignee of Simon Headon Sheppard at Clashnasmut and Curraheen, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary and Kilree, county Kilkenny was advertised for sale in April 1854. Major Sheppard of Cheltenham, England, owned 973 acres in the 1870s while John Sheppard of England owned 374 acres, Captain Henry Sheppard of Clifton owned 281 acres and Frank Sheppard of St Cronans, Roscrea, owned 275 acres.