- The Russells appear to have been resident at Ballydavid, Littleton, county Tipperary from the early 18th century as Debretts ''Baronetage of England'' revised (1840) records Sir John James of Dublin, a grandson of John James of Rathbeg, King's County (died 1729) and his wife, Isabella, daughter of William Russell of Ballydavid, county Tipperary. Marcus Carew Russell was the proprietor in the early 19th century. One of his sons, William Armstrong Russell (1821-1879), became the Anglican Bishop of Northern China. Another son, Vernon William, married Ellen Usher of Cashel. In the mid 19th century John Russell held land in the parishes of Galbooly and Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary. The estate of John Russell amounting to over 2,000 acres in the barony of Eliogarty was advertised for sale in May 1854. In the 1870s Anne and Susan Russell of Ballydavid Fort, Littleton, owned 262 acres in county Tipperary, Dr Vernon Russell of Cashel owned 894 acres in county Tipperary and 124 acres in county Clare, while the representatives of Dr Robert P. Russell of Cashel owned 554 acres in county Tipperary.