- The Butlers were established at Caher Castle, county Tipperary, from the 16th century. This family supported the Jacobite cause at the end of the 17th century but their estates were restored to them. In 1793 Richard Butler, 10th Baron Caher, married Emily Jefferys of Blarney Castle, county Cork and was created Viscount Caher and Earl of Glengall in 1816. Their only son, Richard Butler, 2nd Earl of Glengall, died in 1858 without male heirs and his titles became extinct. He left two daughters. The eldest, Margaret, married Lieutenant Colonel the Hon Richard Charteris, second son of the 8th Earl of Wemyss, in 1858. Lady Margaret Charteris of The Lodge, Caher, owned 16,616 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the 2nd Earl of Glengall was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballybacon, Caher, Neddans, Shanrahan, Tubbrid and Tullaghorton, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tippeary and the parish of Killaloan, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. In November 1853 an estate of almost 30,000 acres belonging to the Earl was advertised for sale. The sale included lots in the towns of Cahir and Clonmel, the Manors of Cahir, Rehill and Castlegrace, all in county Tipperary and Redmondstown and other property in county Waterford. John Sadleir bought Cahir Castle for £700. Mary C. Lyons gives details of the purchasers. Parts of the estate were advertised for sale again in May 1859.
- A junior branch of the Pennefather family of New Park, county Tipperary, descended from Major William Pennefather, Member of Parliament for Cashel 1771, second son of Richard Pennefather of New Park. William married Ellen Moore of Mooresfort, county Tipperary and they had two sons, Richard and Edward, who both became eminent lawyers. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Baron [Richard] Pennefather held an estate in the parishes of Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East and Knockgraffon and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird. In 1836 Richard's son, also named Richard, married Lady Emily Butler, sister of the Earl of Glengall. In 1852 she married, as her second husband, Colonel H. A. Hankey. Edward and Reverend William Pennefather, sons of Edward, younger brother of Baron Richard, held land in the parishes of Molough, Caher and Tubbrid, barony of Iffa and Offa West in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s Edward G. Pennefather of Bray, county Wicklow, owned 479 acres in county Tipperary. Miss Mary Pennefather of Kingstown, Dublin, who owned 772 acres in county Tipperary at the same time, may have been Edward G. Pennefather's sister.
- In 1836 Lady Emily Georgina Arabella Butler, sister of the Earl of Glengall, married Richard Pennefather of Knockeevan or Darling Hill, county Tipperary. Richard died in 1849 and in 1852 she married Colonel (later General) Henry A. Hankey. The only son of Lady Emily, Richard Pennefather, died in 1863. In 1869 Richard's only sister Evelyn Henrietta Pennefather married Arthur Philip Stanhope, 6th Earl Stanhope and records relating to the Pennefather/Hankey/Stanhope estate in county Tipperary are preserved in the Stanhope of Chevening collection. In May 1872 the estate of Lady Hankey at Garranmore, (367 acres) in the barony of Middlethird, was advertised for sale. This land was held by indenture dated 20 Dec 1871 from the Bishop of Cashel and the Commissioners of Church Temporalities to John Alexander Hankey and Beaumont Hankey, trustees for the owner. In the mid 1870s Lady Hankey of Knockeevan, Clonmel and London, owned 3,899 acres in county Tipperary.