- The Ryan family were located at Inch, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, from the late 17th century. In 1783 George Ryan of Inch married Mary, daughter of Philip John Roche of Limerick, and they had four sons. Daniel and Philip died unmarried in the early 1830s, George succeeded to Inch and John Dennis Anna Elizabeth Lenigan of Castle Fogerty in 1824. Their son, John Vivian, succeeded to that estate. In the mid 19th century the Ryan estate was located in the parish of Inch, barony of Eliogarty and Moyaliff and Upperchurch, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. In the 1870s the representatives of George Ryan of Inch owned 1,694 acres in county Tipperary.
Lenigan (Castle Fogarty)
- In 1788 James Fogerty of Castle Fogarty, near Thurles, county Tipperary, died childless and his sister Elizabeth, who had married William Lenigan of Zoar, county Kilkenny, inherited the Fogarty estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Lenigan's estate was located in the parishes of Ballycahill and Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. In the 1870s James Lenigan owned 1,604 acres in county Tipperary. Penelope Elizabeth Marie Lenigan, daughter of James, left the estate to her cousin, John Vivian Ryan, son of John Denis Ryan of the Inch family and his wife Anna Elizabeth Lenigan. John Vivian Ryan took the additional name of Lenigan in 1878.
- The O'Fogartys were a prominent family in the Thurles locality of county Tipperary in the mid 16th century. By the end of the 17th century the family was resident at Castle Fogarty. In 1788 James Fogerty died childless and his sister Elizabeth, who had married William Lenigan of Zoar, county Kilkenny, inherited the Fogarty estate.