- This family, originally from Surrey, settled at Butterhill in county Wicklow in the 17th century. Following the appointment of William Cooper as Registrar of the Diocese of Cashel, one branch settled at Killenure Castle, county Tipperary in the mid 18th century. William Cooper and his wife, Jane Wayland, had two sons, Samuel of Killenure, agent to the Maude, Damer and Erasmus Smith Schools estates and Austin, an antiquarian and agent to a number of landlords including the 2nd Earl of Leitrim, Baron Milton and Viscount Hawarden. In the mid 19th century Samuel Cooper held land in the parishes of Kilmaleery and Kilnasoolagh, barony of Bunratty Lower, and Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare. The main part of the Cooper estate was in county Tipperary, in the parishes of St Johnbaptist, barony of Middlethird, Cullen and Solloghodbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, Donohill and Oughterleague, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower. In November 1854 the interest of Patrick J. O'Kearney and others in the lands of Ballywalter was advertised for sale, Samuel Cooper was the tenant. He held on a lease dated 28 December 1852. In the 1870s Samuel Cooper of Killenure, Cashel, county Tipperary, owned 826 acres in county Tipperary and 344 acres in county Clare. His brother was Richard Austin Cooper Chadwick. [Another brother, William L. Cooper of England owned 727 acres in county Tipperary].
- By the end of the 17th century the Chadwick family was established at Ballinard, county Tipperary. In 1738 Richard Chadwick of Ballinard married, as his first wife, Rebecca Ellard. In 1799 John Craven Chadwick married Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Cooper of Killenure Castle, county Tipperary. They had seven sons and four daughters. The eldest son, William, had three daughters and when he died in 1876 he was succeeded by his son-in-law, Richard Austin Cooper, who assumed the additional name of Chadwick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, William Chadwick held land in the parishes of Shronell and Solloghodmore, barony of Clanwilliam and Donohill, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower, while Mrs Anne Chadwick held land in the parish of Shronel. The representatives of Richard Chadwick held property in the parish of Cullen. In the 1870s William's grandson, William Cooper Chadwick, owned 882 acres in county Tipperary. In November 1882 the estate of Thomas Dowling at Clonbrick and Cotifiagh, barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. Richard Cooper Chadwick was the tenant. This property was finally sold in the Land Judges' Court in January 1886 to David Clarke, a silk manufacturer from Macclesfield, Cheshire. The estate of Eliza and Annie Kennedy, at Bishopsland, in the barony of Middlethird, was also offered for sale in 1886. The tenant was J.J. Chadwick. The court proceedings indicated that Mr. Chadwick was interested in purchasing the property.