- The Hemphills are descended from the Reverend Samuel Hemphill, described as a "distinguished Presbyterian controversialist" (Burke, 1904), who settled at Spring Hill, County Tipperary early in the 18th century. His second son, Edward of Spring Hill, a medical doctor, married Frances Despard of Killaghy Castle and they were the parents of Richard Hemphill. In 1766 his third son, John Hemphill of Cashel, married Elizabeth, daughter and co heiress of Edward Bacon of Rathkenny, county Tipperary. They had four sons and three daughters. By the mid 19th century Charles Hare Hemphill of Rathkenny (created 1st Baron Hemphill in 1906) held land in the parish of Peppardstown, barony of Middlethird, while Richard Hemphill held land in the parishes of Graystown and St Johnbaptist, barony of Slievardagh and Samuel Hemphill held land in the parishes of Kilconnell and Graystown, barony of Middlethird and Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh. In the 1870s Charles H. Hemphill of Dublin owned 437 acres, the Reverend Richard Hemphill of Dublin owned 670 acres, Robert Hemphill of Clonmel owned 1,783 acres and William D. Hemphill of Clonmel owned 152 acres in county Tipperary.
Robert and Samuel Hemphill were petitioners for the sale of the Terry property at Clonmel in 1872.