- Members of the Clerke and Upton families were granted lands in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Middlethird, county Tipperary, in 1666. Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1904) records the five sons of the Reverend Marshal Clarke (died 1833) and his wife, Elizabeth Hare. The youngest son, Charles, built Graiguenoe Park and married Sarah Otway Bland. Charles was succeeded by his son, Marshal Neville Clarke, in 1879. In the mid 19th century Charles Clarke held land in the parishes of Holycross, barony of Middlethird, and Kilmucklin and Rathlynin, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary while Robert Clarke held land in the parishes of Cordangan, barony of Clanwilliam, Donohill and Kilmore, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower. In the 1870s Charles Clarke of Graiguenoe owned 2,740 acres in county Tipperary.