- Reverend Ralph Sadleir, rector of Castleknock, county Dublin, is recorded as the owner of over 900 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. He married as his first wife, his cousin Letitia, daughter of the Reverend Francis Sadleir, Provost of Trinity College, Dublin. The College owned large tracts of land in the baronies of Ross and Ballynahinch, county Galway and in 1906 the Reverend Ralph Sadlier is recorded as the occupier of 33 acres of untenanted land at Carrick West in the parish of Cong, barony of Ross. He married secondly, Letitia, daughter of Captain Sewell, a family closely connected to the Berminghams, Lord Athenry. [Also in the 1870s William Sadlier, of the The Grange, Fermoy, county Cork, owned 35 acres in county Galway and 225 acres in county Cork. In the 1870s Matilda Anne Sadlier of Fermoy owned 1,763 acres in county Tipperary.]
Sadleir (Sopwell Hall, Castletown & Ballinderry)
- This branch of the Sadleir family descend from Colonel Thomas Sadleir of Sopwell Hall, county Tipperary, a Cromwellian soldier, who represented counties Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Galway, Mayo and Tipperary in Parliament at various times in the mid 17th century. He was granted almost 8,000 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary and 2,488 acres in the baronies of Clare and Dunkellin, county Galway in 1667. His son, Thomas Sadleir of Sopwell Hall and Castletown, county Tipperary, married a daughter of Colonel Robert Oliver of Castle Oliver, county Limerick. This second Thomas purchased Castletown from his brother-in-law's family, the Briggs, in 1706. From his son Thomas, descend the Sadleirs of Sopwell Hall and from his son Charles, descend the Sadleirs of Castletown and Ballinderry. In 1735 Francis Sadleir of Sopwell Hall, county Tipperary, married Catherine, daughter of William Wall, MP, of Coolnamuck, county Waterford. They had two daughters who married into the Trench of Woodlawn, county Galway and Bury of Charleville families. Four generations of Thomas Sadleirs succeeded Charles at Castletown until the death of Thomas Owen Saunders Sadleir in 1904. He died unmarried and was succeeded by his sisters, two of whom had married members of the Falkiner family of Mount Falcon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas Sadlier held land in the parishes of Ardcrony and Kilbarron, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. His cousin, Rev. Francis Sadlier, was the principal lessor in the parish of Kilronan, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford. In the 1870s, Rev. Francis Sadlier, with an address in London, also held over 500 acres in county Meath.