- The Hamerton family were established in the town of Clonmel, county Tipperary from the 17th century. Lieutenant General John Millet Hamerton (1778-1855) served in the Napoleonic Wars and married the widow of M. Landie. They had 3 sons and 3 daughters. Orchardstown, county Tipperary, was the home of the Hamertons from the early 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Major William M. Hamerton held 4 townlands in the parish of Rathronan and 1 townland in the parish of Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary, while Matthew Hammerton held land in the parish of Lismalin, barony of Slievardagh. In the 1870s Matthew Hamerton of Orchardstown owned 221 acres in county Tipperary.