Family: Butler (Caher)
(Baron Caher, Viscount Caher, Earl of Glengall)
Baron Caher, Viscount Caher, Earl of Glengall
- The Butlers were established at Caher Castle, county Tipperary, from the 16th century. This family supported the Jacobite cause at the end of the 17th century but their estates were restored to them. In 1793 Richard Butler, 10th Baron Caher, married Emily Jefferys of Blarney Castle, county Cork and was created Viscount Caher and Earl of Glengall in 1816. Their only son, Richard Butler, 2nd Earl of Glengall, died in 1858 without male heirs and his titles became extinct. He left two daughters. The eldest, Margaret, married Lieutenant Colonel the Hon Richard Charteris, second son of the 8th Earl of Wemyss, in 1858. Lady Margaret Charteris of The Lodge, Caher, owned 16,616 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the 2nd Earl of Glengall was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballybacon, Caher, Neddans, Shanrahan, Tubbrid and Tullaghorton, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tippeary and the parish of Killaloan, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. In November 1853 an estate of almost 30,000 acres belonging to the Earl was advertised for sale. The sale included lots in the towns of Cahir and Clonmel, the Manors of Cahir, Rehill and Castlegrace, all in county Tipperary and Redmondstown and other property in county Waterford. John Sadleir bought Cahir Castle for £700. Mary C. Lyons gives details of the purchasers. Parts of the estate were advertised for sale again in May 1859.
- Lady Margaret Charteris was the eldest daughter of Richard Butler, 2nd and last Earl of Glengall. She inherited her father's extensive estate at Caher, county Tipperary, following his death in 1858. In that year she married the Honourable Richard Charteris, second son of the 8th Earl of Wemyss and March. She built Caher Park as the family home in the locality and in the 1870s owned 16,616 acres in county Tipperary. She was succeeded by her eldest son, Richard Butler Charteris, who continued to live at Caher until his death in the mid 20th century. In May 1859 an estate of 12,369 acres belonging to Lady Margaret Charteris, Lady Matilda Butler and the trustees of the Glengall estates in counties Tipperary and Waterford was advertised for sale. In May 1872 almost 1,000 acres in the barony of Iffa and Offa West was advertised for sale by the trustees of the marriage settlement of Richard and Lady Margaret Charteris. The latter property was sold in January 1873. The purchaser was W. Lane who bought over 900 acres.
- In 1836 Lady Emily Georgina Arabella Butler, sister of the Earl of Glengall, married Richard Pennefather of Knockeevan or Darling Hill, county Tipperary. Richard died in 1849 and in 1852 she married Colonel (later General) Henry A. Hankey. The only son of Lady Emily, Richard Pennefather, died in 1863. In 1869 Richard's only sister Evelyn Henrietta Pennefather married Arthur Philip Stanhope, 6th Earl Stanhope and records relating to the Pennefather/Hankey/Stanhope estate in county Tipperary are preserved in the Stanhope of Chevening collection. In May 1872 the estate of Lady Hankey at Garranmore, (367 acres) in the barony of Middlethird, was advertised for sale. This land was held by indenture dated 20 Dec 1871 from the Bishop of Cashel and the Commissioners of Church Temporalities to John Alexander Hankey and Beaumont Hankey, trustees for the owner. In the mid 1870s Lady Hankey of Knockeevan, Clonmel and London, owned 3,899 acres in county Tipperary.
- In the 1870s Robert Murdoch of 36, Leeson Street Lower, Dublin, owned over 5,000 acres in county Tipperary and Sydney Murdoch of 31, College Green, Dublin owned 879 acres in the same county. In October 1871 premises in Roscrea and a mill at Clybanane, the estate of John Phelan, a minor, were advertised for sale. Sidney Murdoch was the petitioner. In 1906 Robert Murdock held over 2,500 acres of untenanted land at Bohrnarnane and Cloheenfishoge in county Tipperary. These townlands had previously belonged to the Earl of Glengall.
Sydney Murdock, medical doctor, married in 1867 Mary Adelaide daughter of John Jacob, medical doctor, of Maryborugh, Queen's County (Laois). Sydney Murdock died in 1881. The Murdoch family Robert senior and junior and Sidney medical doctor appear in the Dublin directories (Thoms) in the second half of the 19th century. They also had a residence at Creeve or Crievelands, county Monaghan.