- The Prendergast family were granted lands which had belonged to the O'Shaughnessys including the area which was to become the Lough Cutra estate. Sir Thomas Prendergast 2nd Baronet died in 1760 and was succeeded by his nephew John Prendergast Smyth, the son of his sister Elizabeth and Charles Smyth, Member of Parliament for Limerick city 1731-1776. John Prendergast Smyth was created Baron Kiltarton in 1810 and Viscount Gort in 1816. He was succeeded by his nephew Charles Vereker as 2nd Viscount. The 2nd Viscount built Lough Cutra Castle and his son the 3rd Viscount sold the Gort estate in 1851.
Prendergast (Co Tipperary)
- This family was originally established at Newcastle, county Tipperary, but they were dispossessed of much of their land in the mid 17th century. However they still held land in county Tipperary in the mid 19th century and were living in the Ardfinnan and Nenagh localities. Jeffrey Prendergast was a younger brother of Thomas Prendergast, 1st Baronet. His son, Thomas, married Mary, daughter and heir of John Keating, and died in 1761. From this couple descend the Prendergasts of Ardfinnan and Johnstown. James Prendergast, a mill owner, held land in the parish of Ardfinnan, barony of Iffa and Offa West, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s James Prendergast of the Castle, Ardfinnan, owned 15 acres, Robert K. Prendergast of Netley owned 230 acres, Archer Prendergast of Landaff Lodge, Thurles, owned 343 acres, while Jane Mary Prendergast of Clonmel owned 847 acres in county Tipperary and 214 acres in county Waterford. In the mid 19th century Thomas G. Prendergast held an estate in the parishes of Aglishcloghane and Cloghprior, barony of Lower Ormond, comprised of at least eight townlands. In November 1859 the estate of Jeffry Samuel Prendergast amounting to 1,834 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, was advertised for sale.