Sarsfield (County Cork)
- The Sarsfield family were established in Cork since medieval times. Many of them served as High Sherriffs and Mayors of Cork from the fifteenth to the seventeenth centuries. Early generations of the family lived at Sarsfield's Court and Kilmallock. In 1837 Lewis refers to Sarsfield Court as an ancient mansion. In the 18th century Dominick Sarsfield married Catherine Ronayne and his son Thomas Sarsfield married Mary Ronayne. The Sarsfields inherited Doughcloyne and other property from the Ronaynes. Thomas and Mary's grandson Thomas Ronayne Sarsfield married in 1820 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation held land in the parishes of Clonmel, barony of Barrymore, Carrigaline and St Finbarrs, barony of Cork and Kilmoney, barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork. In the 1870s his son Dominick R. Sarsfield of Doughcloyne owned 1,518 acres in county Cork. Bingham Sarsfield owned over 250 acres at the same time.
Ronayne (Cork & Waterford)
- The Ronayne family were located in county Cork from at least the early 17th century. Philip Ronayne was prominent in Cork city at the end of the 17th century. Documents in the Sarsfield Papers document the Ronayne estate at Doughcloyne, Carrigaline, Rochestown, Great Island, Kinsale, Youghal and in other locations at the end of the 17th century and early 18th century. Some of their property passed by marriage to the Sarsfield family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Patrick Ronayne held land in the parish of Clonmel, barony of Barrymore and Patrick Ronan held land in the parish of Macloneigh, barony of West Muskerry. In April 1861 the estate of Patrick Ronayne at Inshinisingane, barony of West Muskerry was advertised for sale. This estate amounted to 504 acres and was held on a lease to John Ronayne, as trustee for Thomas Browne, from Michael Cox dated 1800. In the 1870s Patrick Ronayne of Berry Hill, Queenstown, owned 219 acres and John Ronayne of Ardsallagh House, Youghal, owned 323 acres in county Cork. The estate of Robert Power Ronayne at Pike Park, county Cork and D'Loughtane, county Waterford, including the mansion house of D'Loughtane, were advertised for sale in June and October 1851. He had been among the principal lessors in the parishes of Kinsalebeg, barony of Decies-within-Drum and Kilrossanty, barony of Decies-without-Drum, , at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Robert P. Ronayne emigrated to Australia. Land at Ballycurriginny, barony of Imokilly, the estate of Thomas Ronayne, was advertised for sale in 1872. The original lease was from Anne Beecher of Cork city to Uniacke Ronayne. Sone of this property was sold, in trust, to John Weldon. The house Ronayne's Court was included in the sale of Edward Robinson's premises in Cork city and suburbs in August 1850. A small lithograph and ground plan of the house is included.
see also http://bluett.com/readers_comments.html
- In the 18th century this family was located at Walshestown, parish of Churchtown, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. see http://www.churchtown.net/Webpages/history/H-walshtown.htm. In 1716 Thomas Gibbings of Gibbing's Grove married Anne, daughter of Robert Conron of Walshtown.
In the mid 19th century Hatton Condran held land in the parishes of Templeusque, barony of Barrymore and St Annes Shandon, barony of Cork, county Cork. In the 1870s Hatton R. Condon of Grange, Doughlas, Robert and Robert H. Condon of Cork owned 131, 122 and 316 acres respectively in county Cork. Con Foley writing for the ''Douglas Weekly - The Voice of Douglas on the Net'' on 21 June 2001 gives a short account of the Conron family, stating that Hatton Conron of Mary Street, Cork, was given a lease for 900 years of lands at Grange in 1773. Hatton Conron married Anastasia, daughter of Edmond Ronayne of Rochestown. They had three sons, Christopher, Hatton and Robert. Christopher died unmarried in 1794. Foley writes that Hatton inherited Grange and held fee simple estates consisting of lands at Ballincollig, Killalohy, and Kilpatrick, property in Barrack Street, and Cove Street, and leasehold interest in the lands of Clankittane and Scarteen, county Cork and Robert had a drapery business in the city. see http://homepage.eircom.net/~douglasweekly/notice425.html Hatton Conron married Eleanor Barry of Leamlara, county Cork. In June 1858 the estate of Hatton Ronayne Conron, over 250 acres at Ballincollig, was advertised for sale.