- The Shuldhams were originally from Norfolk. In the early 18th century Edmond Shuldham of Ardtully, county Kerry married Mary MacCarthy, daughter and heiress of MacCarthy Spaniagh of Dunmanway, county Cork. Their eldest son, Edmond Shuldham, held lands in the counties of Cork, Limerick and in the city of Dublin. Many members of the family followed military careers. Arthur Lemuel Shuldham of Dunmanyway, and of Pallas Green, county Limerick, had a son Edmond William who was Quarter Master General at Bombay for a number of years. At the time of Griffith's Valuation General Shuldham owned an estate in the parishes of Oola and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. Thomas Apjohn of Pallas was agent for the Shuldhams circa 1840.
In 1851, Maj. Gen. Edmund Anderson Shuldham was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Drinagh, Fanlobbus and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, county Cork. His estate in county Cork in the 1870s amounted to over 13,000 acres.
Villiers Stuart/Stuart (de Decies)
- The introduction to the Public Record Office Northern Ireland list of the Villiers Stuart papers states that the the marriage connections which most influenced the history of the Villiers Stuart estate are: the marriage, in 1677, of Katherine Fitzgerald, owner of the Dromana estate, to the Honourable Edward Villiers, son and heir of the 4th Viscount Grandison; the marriage, in 1739, of Lady Elizabeth (Fitzgerald) Villiers, who succeeded to the estate in 1766, to Aland Mason of Waterford; and the marriage in 1802 of Lord Henry Stuart, 5th son of John, 1st Marquess of Bute, and Lady Gertrude Amelia Mason-Villiers, heir of George, 2nd Earl of Grandison. This last couple had three sons, Henry created Lord Stuart of Decies in 1839, William Villiers-Stuart of Castletown, county Kilkenny and Charles. In 1833 William Villiers Stuart married Catherine Cox, sister of Sir Richard Cox, 8th Baronet, and daughter of Michael Cox. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William V. Stewart held land in the parish of Macloneigh, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork. In 1851, Lord de Decies estate included lands in the parishes of Aglish, Ardmore, Clashmore, Kilmolash, Lisgenan or Grange and Ringagonagh, barony of Decies-within-Drum and Affane and Whitechurch, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. In July 1853 a perpetual annuity and a charge on the estates of Michael Cox of Castletown, county Kilkenny, which were by then vested in William Villiers Stuart, were advertised for sale. The former Cox estate was comprised of 12,479 acres in the baronies of West Muskerry, Ibane, Barrymore and East Carbery, county Cork, and 1,826 acres in the baronies of Iffa and Offa East and Slievardagh, county Tipperary plus 6,877 acres in county Kilkenny. Lord Stuart de Decies of Dromana, county Waterford, owned over 7000 acres in county Waterford as well as 24 acres in county Cork in the 1870s, while the representatives of his brother William Villiers-Stuart owned 1,404 acres in Cork.
Cox (Cork & Kilkenny)
- The Cox family, baronets, of Dunmanway, county Cork, and Castletown Cox, county Kilkenny, held extensive estates in counties Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary and descend from Sir Richard Cox, Lord Chancellor, 1703-1707 and Chief Justice, 1711-1714. The Cox estates eventually passed to the Villiers Stuart family through the marriage in 1833 of Catherine Cox, daughter and eventual heiress, of Michael Cox of Castletown, county Kilkenny and William Villiers Stuart. A sale rental dated July 1853 records the former Cox estate as comprised of 12,479 acres in the baronies of West Muskerry, Ibane, Barrymore and East Carbery and 1,826 acres in the baronies of Iffa and Offa East and Slievardagh, county Tipperary, plus 6,877 acres in county Kilkenny. In 1810, Townsend noted estates around Dunmanway, the property of Henry Cox, who was then resident in North America. William Arnoppe was granted an estate of almost 3,000 acres at Dunmanway in 1666 which was purchased by Richard Cox before the end of the 17th century. Martha and Catherine Cox were among the principal lessors in the parish of Fanlobbus, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In November 1858, they offered almost 7000 acres of the estate, including The Manor House, and the town of Dunmanway, for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The sale notice indicates the purchasers of the various lots. They included the Baldwin, Bryan, Becher, Hamilton and Shuldham estates. In October 1873, 1300 acres owned by Katherine Anne Cox, in and around the town of Dunmanway, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The sale notice indicates the purchasers included the Shuldham, Fuller and Lucas estates.
see http://www.leighrayment.com/baronetage/baronetsC5.htm. In 1943 the Irish Tourist Authority Survey, referring to the Cox estate, mentioned that Sir Richard Cox's descendants were said to be residing in the USA.