- McTernan states that John Irwin, a Cromwellian soldier, wsa granted the lands at Tanrego in the seventeenth century. The Irwin family also had property in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny. Turlough O'Carolan was a frequent visitor to Tanrego and composed a number of tunes in honour of the family including "Colonel John Irwin". In 1855 John Lewis Irwin offered for sale lands in the baronies of Tireragh, Leyny and Carbury, including Tanragoe. The estate was acquired by the Olpherts and later the Verschoyle families. The house was occupied in the 1850s by Capt. Richard Olpherts. The house and lands at Barnabrack were also part of the Irwin estate.
- The Irwin estate at Tanrego was purchased by Verschoyle in the 1860s. According to the OS name books the Verschoyles had previously held land in the parishes of Kilglass and Kilmoremoy, Barony of Tireragh. Rev. Joseph Verschoyle held Glebe lands in the parish of Kilmoremoy and occupied buildings valued at £30 in 1857. In 1906 Richard J. Verschoyle is listed as the occupier of lands at Tanrego East including the mansion house. In 1912 an offer was accepted from the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 1200 acres of the Verschoyle estate.