- The Power family were located in the Clonmult locality, Middleton, county Cork, from the late 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Pierce Power held an estate in the parishes of Britway, Clonmult and Templebodan, barony of Barrymore. Most of his land in the parish of Clonmult was held from Edward Phayre. In 1853 the last renewal of Power's lease was dated 1844. In September 1853 his estate of almost 2,000 acres was advertised for sale. The rental describes Clonmult House as located in a valley sheltered from winds. The Barrymore bog was readvertised in June 1855. Part of the lands of Clonmult amounting to 79 acres, the estate of Thomas Power Lynch, was advertised for sale in March 1878. This land was held on a lease dated 1866 from John Shaw Smith to Thomas P. Lynch.
- On 28 February 1854 John Shaw Smith of Rostrevor, county Down, bought the Clonmult estate, county Cork, as a sporting estate, for £10,100 from the Commissioners for the sale of Encumbered Estates. John Shaw Smith (1811-1873) was an early photograper and travelled from Italy to the Holy Land in the early 1850s. This estate previously belonged to Pierce Power and was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in September 1853. John Augustus Smith of Clonmult, county Cork, owned 1,990 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.