- Edward Cooper was a soldier in Richard Coote [Lord Collooney]'s, regiment of horse. He is known in the family history as "The Cornet". After the Cromwellian settlement he was granted land in the Collooney area of county Sligo and in counties Limerick and Kerry. The family were already settled at Markree as is evident from the Hearth Money Rolls of 1665. They continued to be a major social and political power in the county for the next two centuries. An interesting feature of the heritage of Markree is its association with astronomy and meteorology. Weather observations have been taken there since 1828. Markree Castle is now a hotel. see http://www.markreecastle.ie/home.htm for more details. The Coopers also held some land in the parishes of Ballinchalla and Kilmainebeg, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. In 1867 oyster beds and houses in the city of Dublin, associated with the estate of Edward Joshua Cooper, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. In November of that year the Irish Times reported on the sale of Cooper property in the barony of Carbury, county Sigo, to William Middleton. In 1906 Col. Cooper's estate included almost 2000 acres of untenanted land in the barony of Tirerrill. By March 1916 Richard E.S. Cooper had accepted an offer of £11,000 from the Congested Districts' Board for his 1,639 acres in county Mayo. The Board also acquired over 500 acres of the Sligo estate. The Coopers retained at least part of their Munster estate from the 17th to the 19th century as Edward J. Cooper held land in the parishes of Knocklong, barony of Coshlea and Kilfrush, barony of Smallcounty in the early 1850s and in the 1870s is recorded as owning 1,118 acres in county Limerick.
Cooper (Mayo, Tipperary & Cork)
- Colonel Joshua Henry Cooper of Dunboden Park, Mullingar, county Westmeath, owned over 1700 acres in county Cork in the 1870s as well as lands in Westmeath. He was the second son of Richard Cooper and his wife the Honourable Emilia Frankfort de Montmorency. Richard Cooper was among the principal lessors in the parish of Killanully, barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork, in the 1850s. This family were a branch of the Coopers of Markree Castle, county Sligo. Colonel Joshua Henry Cooper's younger brother Colonel Richard Augustus Cooper of Kilcloonagh, county Tipperary and Warwickshire owned 1,623 acres in county Tipperary, 1,549 acres in county Mayo and 677 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. He married his cousin Cecily Cooper of Markree Castle. In the mid 19th century Richard Cooper held land in the county Tipperary parishes of Athnid and Inch, barony of Eliogarty. The eldes son of Richard W. Cooper and his wife Emilia De Montmorency was Edward Henry Cooper who held the townland of Ballyknockane in the parish of Templetuohy, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century. This property was leased to Paul Aitchison in 1856 and advertised for sale in January 1864. Edward Henry Cooper succeeded his uncle at Markree in 1863.