Hollow Sword Blades Company
- The Hollow Sword Blades Company was set up in England in 1691 to make sword blades. In 1703 the company purchased some of the Irish estates forfeited under the Williamite settlement in counties Mayo, Sligo, Galway, and Roscommon. They also bought the forfeited estates of the Earl of Clancarty in counties Cork and Kerry and of Sir Patrick Trant in counties Kerry, Limerick, Kildare, Dublin, King and Queen's counties (Offaly and Laois). Further lands in counties Limerick, Tipperary, Cork and other counties, formerly the estate of James II were also purchased, also part of the estate of Lord Cahir in county Tipperary. In June 1703 the company bought a large estate in county Cork, confiscated from a number of attainted persons and other lands in counties Waterford and Clare. However within about 10 years the company had sold most of its Irish estates. Francis Edwards, a London merchant, was one of the main purchasers.
- At the end of the 17th century the Earl of Clancarthy's estates which comprised most of Muskerry, county Cork, were confiscated because he had supported the Jacobite cause. The Hollow Sword Blade Company purchased much of the forfeited McCarthy lands around Blarney. Lewis writes that over 3,000 acres was allotted to a member of the Company and in 1837 these lands were held by his descendant George Putland. However the Parliamentary Papers refer to Thomas Putland's purchase of over 1,500 acres of the manor of Blarney, barony of Muskerry in April 1703 for £4,070, from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. Thomas Putland also purchased part of the estate of Dominick Sarsfield at Sarsfield's Court, barony of Barrymore and lands in the barony of Fermoy, formerly part of the estate of Sir Richard Nagle. Burke's "Landed Gentry" (1886) records the 1738 marriage of John Putland of Dublin and Catherine daughter and eventual co heiress of Sir Emanuel Moore of Ross Carbery, county Cork. Their grandson Charles Putland of Bray, county Wicklow, held an estate in county Cork located in the parishes of Garrycloyne and Matehy, barony of East Muskerry and Templeusque, barony of Barrymore, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s his county Cork estate amounted to over 4,500 acres. He also owned much smaller estates in counties Tipperary and Wicklow. Part of the lands of Ballygibbeen, barony of East Muskerry, leased to Michael Cremin by George Putland in 1830, was advertised for sale in March 1872.
- Hajba writes that John Anderson was a Scottish entrepreneur who came to Cork in 1780. He was a merchant and banker and was very involved in the building of the mail coach roads between Dublin and Cork. In the early 1790s he bought some of the Forward estate beside the Blackwater River and developed the town of Fermoy. Lewis writes that he also bought the manor of Buttevant from the Earl of Barrymore and that it was sold again by the Andersons in 1831 to Viscount Doneraile. John Anderson eventually became bankrupt and died in 1820. Sir Robert Abercromby purchased much of the Anderson interest in the town of Fermoy. In 1791 John Anderson had married Elizabeth Semple of Waterford as his second wife and they had two sons and a daughter. Their eldest son was Sir James Caleb Anderson of Buttevant Castle, a promoter of steam locomotion. He married Caroline Shaw in 1814 and had two sons and six daughters. Sir James died in 1861 and the baronetcy became extinct. One of his daughters married Charles Putland. The Andersons held land in the parishes of Aghacross and Fermoy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In January 1852 the estate of Thomas Tangney, assignee of John William Anderson, a bankrupt, at West and East Grange and Boherboy, barony of Condons and Clangibbon was advertised for sale.
Moore (Ross Carbery)
- Emanuel Moore was created a baronet in 1681. He had been granted 336 acres in 1667 and 218 acres in 1679 in the barony of Carbery, county Cork. His son Sir William Moore was Member of Parliament for Bandon, county Cork. This family appear to have been landowners in the Ross Carbery locality in the early 18th century but were living in the "direst need" by the 1880s according to the death notice of Sir Richard Emanuel Moore, 10th Baronet in the ''Illustrated London News'' (8 July 1882, p. 50).
Putland & Hulse
- In the mid 19th century Mrs. Putland and Sir Charles Hulse jointly held a large estate in the parish of Kilgrant, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary with additional lands in the parishes of Rathronan and St Mary's Clonmel. Mrs. Putland was the widow of George Putland of Bray Head, county Wicklow. George Putland died in 1841 and she died in 1857. They had no children. He was succeeded by his brother, Charles Putland. In the 1870s Sir Edward Hulse of London owned 653 acres in county Tipperary. In November 1876 the fee simple estates of approximately 640 acres of the trustees of Sir Edward Hulse near the town of Clonmel were advertised for sale. The unsold part were readvertised for sale on 5 July 1882.