- This family descend from Robert Wakeham, who succeeded his uncle, Sir Richard Pyne, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland at Ballyvolane, county Cork, in the early 18th century and took the name Pyne. Sir Richard Pyne bought Ballyvolane, part of the forfeited estate of Sir Richard Nagle and Edmond Barry in 1702 and also the Blarney mills in 1703. A detailed account of the history of this family is given by H.F. Morris in ''The Irish Genealogist'', including the siege of Lisfinny Castle which belonged to the Land League supporter, Jaspar Douglas Pyne. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Jasper [Richard Masters] Pyne held fourteen townlands in the parish of Inchigeelagh, barony of West Muskerry and he also held land in the parishes of Britway and Knockmourne, barony of Barrymore, county Cork and in the parishes of Baptistgrange, Cooleagh and Kiltinan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. 237 acres of the county Tipperary estate were advertised for sale in November 1864. Much of it was sold to Rev. John Pyne Pennefather who advertised it for sale again in January 1866. . In June 1885 an estate of 345 acres in the barony of Middlethird belonging to John Pyne Pennefather was advertised for sale. John Pyne Pennefather was born in 1833 and became a doctor. He was a grandson of William Pennefather who, in 1780, married Elizabeth, daughter of John Pyne of Ballyvolane. In November 1865 the estate of the Reverend William Masters Pyne and George Masters Pyne at Lisgoold East, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of Jasper Pine, Passage, county Cork, owned 3,178 acres in county Cork and George Pine of Ballyvolane, Castlelyons, owned 930 acres.
- This branch of the Pyne family lived at Derryroe, parish of Aghabulloge, county Cork, in the mid 18th century but by the beginning of the 19th century were resident at Cottage. John Pyne of Cottage and Clonmoyle died in 1837 and left his property to his nephew the Reverend John Paul Lawless who took the name and arms of Pyne. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend John Lawless Pyne held land in the parishes of Aghabulloge and Aghinagh, barony of East Muskerry and Cloyne, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. In the 1870s the Reverend John L. Pyne of Cloyne owned 1,132 acres in county Cork.