Cross (Shandy Hall)
- The representatives of Abraham Cross held land in the parish of Magourney, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork in the early 1850s, James Cross held land in the parish of Aglish and Philip Cross held land in the parishes of Carrigrohanebeg and Inishcarra. The Magourney baptismal register records the baptisms of the children of Philip Cross and his wife Rebecca Morris in the 1760s so the family was resident in the locality from at least the mid 18th century and there is a reference to Henry Cross of Shandy in 1788. Maria daughter of Philip Cross married in the 1780s Peter Mair of Hill House, Richmond, Yorkshire. Their son Lieutenant General Cornelius Philip Cuyler Mair appears to have inherited some of the Cross estate. In June 1870 the Cross estate at Nadrid, 309 acres in the barony of East Muskerry and the tolls and customs of 2 patent fairs, were advertised for sale.
In the 1870s Philip Cross of Shandy Hall owned 582 acres in county Cork. This Philip Cross may have been the doctor Philip Cross executed in 1888 for the murder of his wife. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Cross.