Sarsfield (County Cork)
- The Sarsfield family were established in Cork since medieval times. Many of them served as High Sherriffs and Mayors of Cork from the fifteenth to the seventeenth centuries. Early generations of the family lived at Sarsfield's Court and Kilmallock. In 1837 Lewis refers to Sarsfield Court as an ancient mansion. In the 18th century Dominick Sarsfield married Catherine Ronayne and his son Thomas Sarsfield married Mary Ronayne. The Sarsfields inherited Doughcloyne and other property from the Ronaynes. Thomas and Mary's grandson Thomas Ronayne Sarsfield married in 1820 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation held land in the parishes of Clonmel, barony of Barrymore, Carrigaline and St Finbarrs, barony of Cork and Kilmoney, barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork. In the 1870s his son Dominick R. Sarsfield of Doughcloyne owned 1,518 acres in county Cork. Bingham Sarsfield owned over 250 acres at the same time.
Ronayne (Cork & Waterford)
- The Ronayne family were located in county Cork from at least the early 17th century. Philip Ronayne was prominent in Cork city at the end of the 17th century. Documents in the Sarsfield Papers document the Ronayne estate at Doughcloyne, Carrigaline, Rochestown, Great Island, Kinsale, Youghal and in other locations at the end of the 17th century and early 18th century. Some of their property passed by marriage to the Sarsfield family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Patrick Ronayne held land in the parish of Clonmel, barony of Barrymore and Patrick Ronan held land in the parish of Macloneigh, barony of West Muskerry. In April 1861 the estate of Patrick Ronayne at Inshinisingane, barony of West Muskerry was advertised for sale. This estate amounted to 504 acres and was held on a lease to John Ronayne, as trustee for Thomas Browne, from Michael Cox dated 1800. In the 1870s Patrick Ronayne of Berry Hill, Queenstown, owned 219 acres and John Ronayne of Ardsallagh House, Youghal, owned 323 acres in county Cork. The estate of Robert Power Ronayne at Pike Park, county Cork and D'Loughtane, county Waterford, including the mansion house of D'Loughtane, were advertised for sale in June and October 1851. He had been among the principal lessors in the parishes of Kinsalebeg, barony of Decies-within-Drum and Kilrossanty, barony of Decies-without-Drum, , at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Robert P. Ronayne emigrated to Australia. Land at Ballycurriginny, barony of Imokilly, the estate of Thomas Ronayne, was advertised for sale in 1872. The original lease was from Anne Beecher of Cork city to Uniacke Ronayne. Sone of this property was sold, in trust, to John Weldon. The house Ronayne's Court was included in the sale of Edward Robinson's premises in Cork city and suburbs in August 1850. A small lithograph and ground plan of the house is included.
see also http://bluett.com/readers_comments.html