- A family, possibly of Danish origin, who were settled in county Cork from at least the 16th century. James Cotter of Anngrove, county Cork, was executed in 1720 for supporting the Stuart claim to the English throne. His son, James Cotter of Rockforest, was member of parliament for Askeaton and was created a baronet in 1768. In 1746 he married Arrabella Casaubon, a widow, daughter and co heir of Lord Chief Justice John Rogerson. They had four sons. In 1820 their grandson, Sir James Laurence Cotter, member of parliament for Mallow, married Helena T. Lombard, daughter and co heir of James Lombard of Lombardstown, county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Cotter estate was located in the parishes of Clonmeen and Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow and Rahan, barony of Fermoy. Lands in the barony of Fermoy belonging to Sir James Cotter were advertised for sale in June 1850. In the 1870s Sir James L. Cotter of Sunny Hill, Mallow, owned 3,785 acres in county Cork while his uncle the Reverend George Cotter of Rockforest owned 916 acres.