Phillips (Gaile House)
- This family were granted lands at Foyle, county Kilkenny, under the Acts of Settlement. By the early 19th century their main residence was at Gale/Gaile, county Tipperary, which they came to possess throught the marriage of Samuel Phillips of Foyle and Joan, daughter of John Max of Gaile, county Tipperary, in 1779. Their son, Richard, married Jane, daughter of Thomas Godfrey of Beechmount in 1799. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Richard Phillips held land in the parishes of Athneasy, Uregare, barony of Smallcounty and Oola, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Gaile, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. The Reverend John Phillips also held land in the parish of Dogstown, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Richard Phillips of Gaile House owned 2,133 acres in county Tipperary, 531 acres in county Kilkenny and 480 acres in county Limerick. [A Mrs Mary Phillips of Leeson Street, Dublin, also owned 1,585 acres in county Tipperary. Richard Phillips was married to Mary E. Hunt of Cappagh House, county Tipperary in 1847, she died in 1885]. At the same time the representatives of Samuel Phillips of Beechmount owned 1,061 acres in the county. In July 1851 the lands of Freagh, 40 acres in the barony of Owney and Arra, the estate Christopher Hume Lawder, assignee of the estate of Richard and Robert Philips, gentlemen and insolvent debtors "and each of whom claim respectively to be, and one or other of whom is, the heir at law of Samuel William Philips of Oakhampton", was advertised for sale.