- The Howleys were a merchant family in Limerick city who purchased Rich Hill in the early 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Howley held land in the parish of Galbally, barony of Coshlea, William Howley held land in the parish of Cahernarry, barony of Clanwilliam and Serjeant Howley held land in the parish of Grean, barony of Coonagh. Serjeant Howley was later Sir John Howley, First Serjeant in Ireland. Sir John (1789-1866) was the second son of John Howley of Rich Hill and his wife, Amy Bourke of Pallas, county Tipperary. On his retirement in 1865 he was made a Knight. In 1828 he married Sarah, daughter of Stephen Roche of Lota Park, county Cork and they had three daughters, the eldest, Maria, married Alexander J. Mansfield of Morristown Lattin, county Kildare. see http://www.limerick.ie/media/Media,8091,en.pdf In the 1870s Major John Howley of Rich Hill, Lisnagry, county Limerick owned 621 acres in county Limerick, 340 acres in county Clare and 61 acres in county Tipperary. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record John Howley, Esq. as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Emly, county Tipperary, in 1840.
- In July 1863 Alexander John Mansfield, second son of Alexander Mansfield of Morristown Lattin, county Kildare, married Maria, eldest daughter of Sir John Howley, a prominent Irish barrister, of the Howley family of Rich Hill, near Limerick city. The Mansfields were extensive Irish landowners, with estates of over 4,500 acres in county Kildare and over 1,000 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. At the same time Alexander John Mansfield with an address in Bristol, owned 131 acres in county Limerick, the property was held by his father in law, Serjeant John Howley, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. A notebook in the National Library of Ireland shows that this property at Pallasgreen, parish of Grean, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, produced an annual rental of £445.
- Walter Henry Mansfield was among the principal lessors in the parish of Rathgormuck at the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1850. Rathgormuck was formerly the property of his mother's family, the Woulfes of Carrick on Suir. G.L.P. Mansfield held townlands in the parish of Clashmore, barony of Decies-within-Drum at that time. George Patrick Lattin Mansfield had offered over 800 acres of his estate in the barony of Decies-without-Drum for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. The original 1770s lease was from the Osborne estate to John Fowler. The Freeman's Journal reported that the purchaser was Denis Keeffe, for over £5600.
The representatives of Miss Mansfield were lessors in the parish of Modelligo, barony of Decies-without-Drum. By the 1870s, the estate held by the representatives of Capt. Walter Mansfield amounted to over 1200 acres in county Waterford while G.L.P. Mansfield, with an address in county Kildare, owned over 700 acres.