Carleton (Co Tipperary)
- The Carletons were located in the Clonmel area of county Tipperary from the late 17th century. In 1703 John Carleton of Knocknanimy bought lands in the barony of Middlethird, previously part of the estate of King James II. John Carleton was living at Darling Hill early in the 18th century and in 1705 purchased Clare (Butlerstown). His descendant Hugh Carleton was created Baron Carleton of Anner in 1789 and Viscount Carleton of Clare in 1797. He died childless in 1825 and his nephew Francis succeeded to his estates. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Carletons held land in the parishes of Kiltinan and Magorban, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Francis Carleton of Dublin owned 741 acres in county Tipperary.