- Two Hoare brothers, Edward and Abraham, came to Ireland in the Cromwellian army and obtained large grants of lands in county Cork, amounting to 3,468 acres in 1667. Edward's son, also named Edward, purchased additional estates in counties Cork and Limerick and was established at Dunkettle near Cork city by the end of the 17th century. Succeeding generations of Hoares represented Cork in Parliament and Joseph Hoare of Annabelle was created a baronet in 1784. In 1800 his grandson, Sir Joseph Wallis Hoare, married Lady Harriet O'Brien, sister of James 3rd and last Marquis of Thomond. Thereafter the Hoares married English wives and appear to have been largely absentee. The representatives of Sir Joseph held townlands in the parish of Fanlobbus, barony of East Carbery and at Carrigrohane, barony of Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Edward Hoare and Edward Wallace [Wallis] Hoare held an estate in the parishes of Garryvoe, Kilcredan, Ightermurragh and Kilmacdonongh, barony of Imokilly. The Reverend Edward H. Hoare held land in the parish of Ballycurrany, barony of Barrymore. An interest held by William O'Bryen Hoare in the lands of Johnstown, barony of Fermoy, was advertised for sale in April 1854 [and purchased by Frederick Bell]. In November 1854 the estate of Sir Edward Hoare and Edward Wallis Hoare in the baronies of Barrymore, East Carbery and at Carrigrohane, barony of Cork, amounting to 3,707 acres was advertised for sale. In April 1855 the estate of Sir Edward Hoare in the west division of the barony of East Carbery and part of the lands of Annabella, barony of Fermoy, amounting to 2,051 acres, was also advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of Admiral [Edward Wallis] Hoare owned 779 acres and Edward Hoare owned 1,046 acres in county Cork while the representatives of the Reverend H. Edward Hoare owned 831 acres. William Jesse Hoare of Carrigrohane, youngest son of the Reverend Thomas Hoare, a brother of the 3rd Baronet, owned an estate amounting to 2,641 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
Hoare (Factory Hill)
- This family descend from Robert Hoare, fourth son of Edward Hoare of Dunkettle, county Cork, a banker and merchant in Cork city, who purchased estates in both counties Cork and Limerick in the late 17th century. Robert Hoare married Jane Newenham of Coolmore and had a son Robert Hoare of Factory Hill. Robert's grandson Edward Hoare of Factory Hill married in 1806 Sophia, daughter and co heiress of Robert Barry, Member of Parliament for Charleville and the third son of Sir Edward Barry 1st Baronet. Their third son was William Barry Hoare (1810-1884). He held an estate in the parish of Inchigeelagh, barony of West Muskerry and also land in the parishes of Kilmurry, barony of East Muskerry and Caherlag, barony of Barrymore at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s William Barry Hoare of Passage West, Cork owned 2,815 acres in county Cork.
- The sale rental of 1872 records the conveyance of the lands of Johnstown and other lands previously the property of the Hoares to Frederick Bell by the Commissioners for the sale of Encumbered Estates in 1854. In January 1872 over 500 acres at Johnstown East, barony of Fermoy, the estate of Frederick Bell was advertised for sale. In the mid 1870s Frederick Bell of Gurrane Cottage, Fermoy, owned 201 acres in county Cork.