Bullen/Crofts Bullen (Ballythomas)
- Gibson writes that the Bullens were descended from Jeffrey Bullen of Salle, Norfolk, grandfather of Anne Bullen or Boleyn, second wife of Henry VIII. The Bullens settled in the Kinsale area of county Cork in the 17th century. They intermarried with the Crofts family of Ballythomas, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. Robert Crofts Bullen held land in the parishes of Ballyclogh and Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, in the early 1850s. Over 600 acres belonging to Robert Bullen in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore was advertised for sale in October 1855. These lands were held on leases to Robert Crofts in the mid 18th century. Over 60 acres of the estate of William Bullen, including the house and demesne of Roughwood, located in the barony of Courceys, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in August 1855. This property was leased by Bullen from the Kearney estate. The representatives of Joseph Bullen of Cork owned 732 acres and William Bullen of Bandon owned 809 acres in the county in the 1870s.
- This branch of the Crofts family were descended from George Crofts of Ballintemple, county Cork, who was Private Secretary to Sir William Perceval of Burton, county Cork and a younger brother of Christopher Crofts of Velvetstown. His son, also named George, was Member of Parliament for Charleville in 1692 but lost his seat and his estate due to his support for the Jacobite cause. He was restored to his estate under King William and is recorded in Burke's Irish Family Records as "of Churchtown". His son, yet another George, married Mary Wills and died in 1741. Their descendant, George Crofts, was residing at Churchtown in the early 19th century and was father of Reverend Freeman Wills Crofts of Cloheen, county Cork. In November 1851 the estate of John Bennett and Freeman Crofts in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, Fermoy and Barrymore, county Cork, including Castle Wrixon and premises in Charleville, was advertised for sale. Further premises near Charleville belonging to Bennett and Crofts were advertised for sale in February 1855. These were purchased by Christopher Crofts for over £1100. In the mid 19th century Reverend Freeman Crofts held an estate in the parishes of Aglishdrinagh, Imphrick, Shandrum and Churchtown, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. Wills George Crofts was Reverend F.W. Crofts second son. In April 1870 lands at Clogheen and Longstone were advertised for sale, the estate of the trustees of Freeman Crofts, deceased. In 1881 the lands of Longstone, including Longstone Lodge and Cloughfadda House, were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the Crofts of Clogheen House owned over 300 acres in county Cork. Freeman Wills Crofts (1879-1957), a well known author of mystery fiction, was a member of this family. Wills Crofts of Riverston, Nenagh, county Tipperary, appears to have had land interests in the Nenagh locality at the beginning of the 19th century which passed to the Bennett family of Cork.
- ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' traces this family's descent from William Crofts, a younger son of a Suffolk family, who settled in Ireland in the mid 17th century. In 1668 a younger brother of William's named Benjamin Crofts, Receiver for Cork, was granted an estate of 1,565 acres in East Carbery, county Cork with additional lands in county Westmeath. William's eldest son, Christopher Crofts, was established at Buttevant by the late 17th century and his descendants continue to live at Velvetstown. Christopher Crofts held land in the parishes of Buttevant and Imphrick, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and George Crofts held land in the parishes of Ballyhooly and Doneraile, barony of Fermoy. The estate of George Crofts amounting to over 2,600 acres was advertised for sale in March 1851. In the 1870s the estate of 'the late' Christopher Crofts of Velvetstown amounted to 1,421 acres in county Cork, while Richard Nason Crofts of Ballyhoura Lodge owned 745 acres and William H. Crofts of Dublin owned 842 acres in county Cork.
- Edward Cavanagh Murphy acquired an estate in the Doneraile area of county Cork in the second half of the 19th century, buying the Crofts interest in Streamhill in the early 1850s. He married Matilda Anne Galway of Lota, county Cork and was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles William Cavanagh Murphy of Stream Hill who, in 1883, married Charlotte Anne Courtney of Waterford . Over 2500 acres of Charles' estate was advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court in June 1890. the Irish Times reported that the property was purchased in trust for Langley B. Creagh of Woodville, Buttevant, for over £4800. In the 1870s Edward C. Murphy had owned over 3,000 acres in county Cork. This family were resident at Grange, Curraglass, county Cork, in 1910.
Poe (Donnybrook & Solsborough)
- William Poe of Knock and Emmanuel Poe of Solsborough, county Tipperary, were older brothers of James Poe who founded the Harley Park family. From William Poe descend the Poes of Donnybrook. The male line of this branch died out in the latter half of the 19th century. From Emmanuel Poe descend the Poes of Solsborough and Riverston. In 1806 Reverend James Hill Poe, rector of Nenagh, county Tipperary, married Frances, daughter of William Poe of Donnybrook and in 1843 their eldest son, James Jocelyn Poe, married Jane Lovett, eldest daughter and sole heiress of John Bennett of Riverston, county Tipperary. In August 1850 the Donnybrook estate of over 500 acres in the barony of Upper Ormond was advertised for sale, the estate of William Parsons Poe. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Donnybrook estate was in the parish of Ballymackey, barony of Upper Ormond, while James J. Poe held land in the parishes of Nenagh and Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond and James and John Poe held land in a number of parishes in the barony of Owney and Arra. In November 1852 the Solsborough estate of John Poe in the baronies of Lower Ormond and Owney and Arra was advertised for sale. Messers. Abraham, Bolton (in trust), Molloy, Phillips and Tisdall were the purchasers. Lands belonging to Samuel Poe and members of the Tuthill family at Garrykennedy were sold in the Landed Estates Court in February 1869 to Mr. Hayes. In the 1870s William Thomas Poe of Currraghmore, county Tipperary and Glenbane, county Laois, third son of the Reverend James H. Poe, owned 1,054 acres in county Tipperary. His brother James J. Poe of Riverston owned 86 acres and his cousin Henry H. Poe of Solsborough owned 314 acres in the same county.
- The Gason family, reputed to have been originally from Kent, settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century, where John Gason and Elizabeth Ward were granted over 1,200 statute acres in Upper Ormond and in the barony or territory of "Killinlougarty" in 1667. By the late 18th century Richard Gason was living at Richmond. He and his grandson also named Richard married members of the Crofts family. G., Richard and Samuel Gason held land in the parishes of Templederry, Kilnaneave and Ballymackey, barony of Upper Ormond, respectively in the mid 19th century. Richard also held land in the parishes of Monsea and Nenagh, barony of Lower Ormond. In October 1865 part of the Gason estate at Lismore and Lissinisky, barony of Upper Ormond, was advertised for sale. These lands were held on a lease from the Earl of Norbury to John Gason dated 1787. In the 1870s Richard Gason of Bath, England, owned 1,929 acres in county Tipperary and his brother Lieutenant Colonel Wills Crofts Gason of Kilteelagh, Nenagh, county Tipperary, owned 878 acres.