- Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' indicates that the first of this family to be established in Ireland was Richard Townsend, an officer in the Cromwellian army, who acquired Castle Townsend and other lands in west Cork in the late 1660s (6,543 acres). The estate of Richard M.F. Townsend amounted to over 7100 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Burke notes that this property was inherited by virtue of descent from the Knight of Kerry. The Ordnance Survey Field Name Books had reported that Capt Hickson of Dingle acted as agent for the Townsend estate in that area. The representatives of the late Rev. Maurice Townsend owned over 8000 acres in county Cork at the same time. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Rev. Maurice was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castlehaven and also held townlands in other parishes in the same barony including Creagh, Drinagh, Dromdaleague, Kilmacabea, Myross and Skull. John Sealy Townsend, a barrister and descended from the Castletownsend family, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Ross and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Samuel Townsend of Skibbereen was among the lessors in the parish of Drinagh, at the same time. In 1874, over 100 acres of Samuel Nugent Townsend's estate in West Carbery was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court.
Townsend (Garrycloyne Castle)
- This branch of the Townsend family are descended from Richard Townsend of Pallastown, county Cork, fourth son of the Reverend Horatio Townsend and his wife Mary Hungerford. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Samuel Townsend held an estate mainly in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, county Cork but also in the parish of Knocktemple (Duhallow), Garrycloyne (Barretts) and in the parishes of Aglish and Donaghmore, (East Muskerry). This would appear to be Samuel Townsend of Garrycloyne Castle, Blarney, who married his cousin Frances Helena Newman in 1836. Their eldest grandson emigrated to Australia in the early 20th century. Samuel's first cousin the Reverend Philip Townsend resided at Fern Hill, parish of Kilshannig. In the 1870s Samuel's son Richard Townsend of Garrycloyne owned 3,932 acres in county Cork
- This branch of the Townsend family were closely connected with that of Garrycloyne. The Pallacetown property had been purchased by Richard Townsend, son of Horatio Townsend of Donaghmore, in the eighteenth century. His wife was a member of the Daunt family who had estates near Kinsale. Their son Samuel P. Townsend was one of the principal lessors in Clontead Parish, barony of Kinsale, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lands in the barony of Kinsale, the property of William H, Rev. Thomas and Edward Townsend, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1871. The sale included the houses known as Harbour Hill House and Knockduff House. For more information on this family see Townsend Family Records at http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/tree/houses.php#donoughmore