- This family were settled in county Tipperary from the mid 17th century. In 1814 William Ryan of Ballymackeogh married Anne, daughter of Reverend John Pennefather, rector of St Johns, Newport, county Tipperary. They had five sons and four daughters. Their second son, John, married his cousin, Louisa Richarda, daughter of Major Kingsmill Pennefather of Knockinglass, county Tipperary. In June 1861 premises in the town of Kilmallock, county Limerick, the estate of John Ryan and John Pennefather, heir-at-law of William Westby Pennefather were advertised for sale. The Ryan estate was in the parish of Kilvellane. In the 1870s William Ryan of Ballymackeogh owned 1,352 acres in county Tipperary.
Pennefather (New Park & Lakefield)
- In 1667 Cornet Matthew Pennefather from Staffordshire was granted lands in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. His son, also named Matthew, married Lavina Kingsmill of New Park, county Tipperary and through this marriage the Pennefathers inherited the New Park estate. Matthew and Lavinia had three sons, Kingsmill of New Park, Matthew and William of Marlow. Succeeding generations of Pennefathers lived at New Park. Junior branches of the family settled at Ballylanigan, Knockeevan and Lakefield. Family members represented Cashel in Parliament. Lewis writes that the parish of Ballingarry was the property of Matthew Pennefather who had extensive coal mines on his estates. Matthew Pennefather held at least 5 townlands in the parish of Ballingarry at the time of Griffith's Valuation and also held land in the parishes of Ballysheehan and Erry, barony of Middlethird. K. Pennefather held land in the parish of Killenaule. At the same time William Pennefather held land in the parishes of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh and Baptistgrange, barony of Middlethird. Parts of the unsettled estates of Mathew Pennefather of Newpark were advertised for sale in October and November 1851 amounting to over 2,500 acres and premises in Cashel. The New Park estate of 1,730 acres was advertised for sale in June 1852. In June 1861 premises in the town of Kilmallock, county Limerick, the estate of John Ryan and John Pennefather, heir at law of William Westby Pennefather were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of Kingsmill Pennefather, Liverpool owned 721 acres and Richard Pennefather of Lakefield owned 1,220 acres in county Tipperary.