Hyde (Castle Hyde)
- A family who settled in county Cork in Elizabethan times. In the early 1850s John Hyde's estate was located in the baronies of Fermoy, Condons and Clangibbon, and Barrymore, county Cork and Ardmayle and Holycross, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. The first division (over 11,600 acres) of the estates of John Hyde comprising the manor, town and lands of Castle Hyde with other lands in the baronies of Fermoy, Condons and Clongibbons and Imokilly, county Cork, Coshlea, county Limerick, Clanwilliam Eliogarty, Kilnemanagh and Middlethird, county Tipperary, Galmoy, county Kilkenny, was advertised for sale in December 1851. Printed papers accompanying this rental in the National Archives refer to the history of the Hyde family and the surprise at the sale of their estates which is "attributed to mismanagement of the estates by agents rather than to any faults on the part of the possessors". There is also a [newspaper cutting] listing the purchasers of the various lots. This information was also carried in the Freeman's Journal on 8 December 1851. John Sadleir, Member of Parliament, bought Castle Hyde in trust for £17,525. Some of the purchasers of the county Cork lots were Michael Burke, Mr Teulon of Bandon, Alexander Deane and William Burke in trust for Arthur Guinness. Samuel Grubb bought some of the county Tipperary estate. The county Limerick portion was bought in trust for Arthur Guinness. The total amount raised from the sale was £83,620. In 1861 Castle Hyde was for sale again, the estate of John W. Burmester, William Corry and James Andrew Durham (bankers). In the 1870s John Hyde of Cregg, Fermoy, owned 8,919 acres in county Cork. Reverend Arthur Hyde was the owner of townlands in the parish of Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His grandson, Douglas Hyde, became the first President of Ireland.
- The Teulons were a French family who came to Ireland in the 18th century and settled in county Cork. In the late 18th century John Teulon married Mary Wood and their eldest son John married married Catherine, daughter of George Beamish of Clohine. They had three sons, George Beamish, Charles Peter and Thomas. Griffith's Valuation records Peter Teulon holding land in the parish of Kilcrumper, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. Documents in the National Archives record the purchase of part of the Hyde estate by Mr Teulon circa 1851. In the 1870s George Beamish Teulon of Bandon owned 2,714 acres in county Cork. This property passed to the Fleury family following the marriage of Anna Maria Teulon and Alfred Edward Fleury. http://www.paulturner.ca/Ireland/Cork/HOB/hob-21.htm