- The Coote family settled in Queen's county (county Laois) in the early 17th century and the head of the family was granted the title Earl of Mountrath in 1661. The title expired in 1827 but the baronetcy, created in 1621, continued with Sir Charles Henry Coote (1794-1864) who became Ireland's Premier Baronet in 1827. By patent dated 1666 Lord Mountrath was granted over 4,200 acres in the Connacht counties of Roscommonn and Galway and over 15,000 acres in Leinster. His brother, Chidley Coote, was granted over 3,800 acres in county Roscommon in 1674. In 1709 Chidley Coote, then of Jamestown, served as High Sheriff of Leitrim but this branch of the family were mainly resident in county Limerick. In the mid 19th century the county Roscommon estate of Sir Charles Henry Coote, 9th baronet, was in the parishes of Fuerty, Rahara, Killinvoy, Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, Oran, barony of Ballymoe, Kilmacumsy, barony of Frenchpark, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South and Clooncraff, Elphin, Kiltrustan, Shankill, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s Sir Charles Henry Coote, 10th baronet, owned over 1,000 acres in county Roscommon but his main estate of 47,451 acres was in Queen's county (county Laois), where he resided at Ballyfin House, Mountrath. He also owned land in the parishes of Athneasy and Knockainy, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in the 1870s his county Limerick estate amounted to 340 acres and he owned 878 acres in county Kildare. His brother, John Chidley Coote of Farmleigh, Castleknock, county Dublin, owned 10,318 acres in county Roscommon.
Coote (Mount Coote)
- Sir Philip Coote Knight of Mount Coote, county Limerick was a nephew of Charles, 1st Earl of Mountrath. Members of this family intermarried with the Brabazon, Newcomen, Gore and Oliver families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Coote held an estate in the parishes of Ardpatrick and Ballingaddy, barony of Coshlea. In 1869 he was succeeded by his brother, John Aldworth Coote, who owned 2,688 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. William Uniacke Townsend was agent to this estate in the 1860s. The estate was sold in 1911.
Coote (Ash Hill & Bearforest)
- The Cootes of Ash Hill and Mount Coote, county Limerick, were descended from a younger brother of Sir Charles Coote, Earl of Mountrath. In 1666 Chidley Coote was granted almost 3,000 acres in counties Limerick and Kerry. The Cootes of Ash Hill married members of the Evans (Lord Carbery), Purdon and Carr families and eventually Charles Henry Coote of the Ash Hill family succeeded the last Earl of Mountrath as 9th Baronet in 1802. Charles Purdon Coote, a grandson of the 9th Baronet's younger brother Robert Carr Coote, owned 4,510 acres in county Cork and had seats at Ballyclough Castle and Bearforest, Mallow in the late 19th century. In the early 1850s the estate of his father, Charles P. Coote, was located in the parishes of Tullylease, Ballyclogh and Kilmaclenine, baronies of Duhallow and Orrery and Kilmore.
Evans (Ash Hill Towers)
- A branch of the Evans family, Barons Carberys, descended from Thomas Evans of Miltown Castle, county Cork, Member of Parliament for Castlemartyr, who, in 1721, married Mary Waller of county Limerick. Their eldest son, Eyre of Milltown Castle, married a county Limerick heiress, Mary Williams, and their eldest son was Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers. Their second son, Reverend Thomas Waller Evans, was ancestor of the Evans of Knockaderry, county Limerick. Most of the estate of this family was in county Cork. In December 1858 over 900 acres in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork and Pubblebrien, county Limerick, part of the estate of Elystan Eyre Evans, a minor, were advertised for sale, by his guardians. Another sale of parts of E.E. Evans estate in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, Coshlea, county Limerick and Granard, county Longford was advertised in June 1860. These lots were sold to Mr. Cagney and G.F. Ralph. Elystan Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers owned 2,148 acres in county Cork and 264 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. Over 500 acres in counties Cork and Limerick including Ashhill Towers and demesne were advertised for sale in June 1877. The sale of many of these lots was adjourned due to insufficient bidding but some lots were sold in trust.
- This family shared a common ancestry with the Purdons of Tinecrana, county Clare. They descended from Sir Nicholas Purdon of Ballyclogh, fifth son of John Purdon of Tullagh, county Clare. Sir Nicholas was Member of Parliament for Baltimore, county Cork, in 1661. In 1669 he was granted over 7,000 acres in county Cork including Ballyclogh. He died in 1678 leaving four sons. Anne Purdon the eventual heiress of his eldest son Bartholomew married in 1730 Robert Coote of Ash Hill, county Limerick. The second son of Sir Nicholas was Gilbert Purdon of Bellkelly, county Clare, who had four sons including Nicholas of Dysert, county Cork and George of Primrose Hill, Blarney, county Cork. Gilbert's daughters married Joseph Wilkinson of Johnstown, county Cork and John Ringrose of Moynoe, county Clare. Ballyclogh eventually passed to the descendants of Sir Nicholas's eldest daughter Jane who in 1666 married Redmond Barry of Rathcormick, county Cork.