- The Trench family at Woodlawn were one of a number of Trench families who came to prominence in county Galway in the 17th century. They were all descended from Frederick Trench who came to Ireland early in the 1600s. Strategic marriages into the Warburton and Power families led to the acquisition of more lands in East Galway. Much of the Woodlawn estate was originally Martin and Barnewall lands which were purchased by the Trenches in the early eighteenth century. Lord Ashtown is recorded as a non-resident proprietor in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Ballymacward, barony of Kilconnell. In county Roscommon he held over a thousand acres in the parishes of Cam and Tisrara, barony of Athlone and in county Tipperary he held at least 21 townlands in the parishes of Ballingarry and Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond, inherited from the Sadleir family of Sopwell Hall. In the 1870s Lord Ashtown's estate in Galway amounted to over 8000 acres and he also held land in 7 other counties including county Waterford where he had purchased lands in the barony of Glenahiry from the Earl of Stadbrooke in the 1870s. These townlands remained in Trench ownership until purchased by the Land Commission in the 1930s.
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Rev. Frederick Trench was leasing a house valued at £11 in the townland of Carrownamanagh, barony of Kilconnell, to Crawford Allen. The OS Name Books state that Mr. Birmingham acted as agent for the Trench estate.
Lands at Carrowbane, the property of William Wallace Trench, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in November 1863.
In 1852 Lord Ashtown married as his second wife Elizabeth Oliver Gascoigne, an heiress with large estates in county Limerick and Yorkshire. In the 1870s Lord Ashtown is recorded as the owner of 11,273 acres in county Limerick and 4,526 acres in county Tipperary. At the same time the Honourable Charles James Trench of Merrion Square, Dublin, owned 712 acres in county Tipperary. He was a brother of the 2nd Baron Ashtown. A nephew of the 1st Baron Ashtown Henry Trench of Glenmalyre, Queen's County (Laois) owned 699 acres in county Cork aand 671 acres in county Laois.
Gascoigne/Trench (Castle Oliver)
- Richard Oliver of Castle Oliver, county Limerick, took the additional name of Gascoigne when he and his wife became the successors to the Gascoigne of Parlington estate in Yorkshire. Richard Oliver Gascoigne died in 1843 and was succeeded by his two daughters. In 1850 Mary Isabella married the Honourable Frederic Charles Trench, a first cousin of the 2nd Baron Ashtown. In 1852 her sister Elizabeth married Frederic Mason Trench, 2nd Baron Ashtown, of Woodlawn, county Galway, as his second wife. They had no children. Griffith's Valuation records the county Limerick estate of Elizabeth O. Gascoigne and her brother-in-law, Frederic Charles Trench, as situated mainly in the parish of Kilflyn, Kilfinnane and Particles but also in the parishes of Athneasy, Ballingarry, Darragh, Emlygrennan, Kilbreedy Major, and Knocklong, barony of Coshlea. In the 1870s Lord Ashtown owned over 11,000 acres in county Limerick while the Honourable F.C.T. Gascoigne of Parlington, Yorkshire, who had taken the additional name of Gascoigne, owned 7,766 acres in county Limerick. In June 1875 an estate on the Shannon estuary at Killocally, barony of Shanid, amounting to 727 acres was bought in trust for Colonel Gascoigne from Charles H. Minchin.
Oliver (Castle Oliver)
- By the late 17th century the Olivers were settled at Clonodfoy (later known as Castle Oliver), barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. Captain Robert Oliver was granted lands in the barony of Coshlea and in the barony of Clanmorris, county Kerry in 1666. In 1734 Robert Oliver, Member of Parliament for Kilmallock, married Jane Katherine, daughter and co-heiress of John Silver. In 1667 Owen Silver had been granted lands in the barony of Muskerry, county Cork and Ileagh, county Tipperary. Robert and Jane's son, Silver Oliver, also married an heiress, Isabella Sarah Newman of Newbury (Newberry Manor), county Cork, as did their grandson, Richard Philip Oliver. He married Mary Turner through whom the family inherited the Gascoigne estates in Yorkshire. Richard and Mary Oliver Gascoigne had two daughters, Mary Isabella and Elizabeth who succeeded to the Oliver and Gascoigne estates in 1843. Both married members of the Trench family of Woodlawn, county Galway. The Oliver estate was in the barony of Coshlea, mainly in the parishes of Kilfinnane, Kilflyn and Particles. The Deane Oliver estate including part of Castletownroche was offered for sale in November 1867. It amounted to over 800 acres.
Minchin (Greenhills & Killacolla)
- ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that William Minchin, fifth son of Charles Minchin, bought Greenhills in 1703. In November 1851 the estate of his descendant the Reverend William Minchin of Greenhills, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. It was comprised of 2,748 acres in the baronies of Eliogarty, Upper Ormond and Ikerrin, county Tipperary and 805 acres in King's County [county Offaly]. Montague Blackett bought the 332 acres of Greenhills (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm). Griffith's Valuation records the Reverend Minchin holding land in the parishes of Holycross, barony of Eliogarty, Borrisnafarney and Cullenwaine, barony of Ikerrin. The Reverend William Minchin was married to Mary Anne Corker Wright and their second son was Edward Corker Minchin who married Sarah Anne Hutchinson of Rockforest in 1848. After the sales of Greenhills and Rockforest members of this Minchin family emigrated to New Zealand and Australia.
In June 1875 the 727 acre estate of the trustee of Charles Humphrey Minchin deceased at Killacolla, parish of Kilfergus, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, was advertised for sale. The sale included several fisheries in the River Shannon. The rental records that this estate had been purchased by Charles H. Minchin in the Encumbered Estates' Court from Richard Quin Sleeman. It includes notes re the bidding and that the property was bought in trust for Colonel Gascoigne for £11,000. Lieutenant Charles Humphrey Minchin was the third son of William Minchin of Greenhills, county Tipperary. In 1817 he married Amelia Wright of Rutland, King's County (county Offaly) and they had a number of children.