- The Holmes family, who were granted the title Baron Heytesbury in 1828, held estates in counties Limerick, Waterford and Wicklow in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Limerick estate lay on the southern banks of the River Shannon, mainly in the baronies of Connello and Shanid (parish of Kilfergus) and around Kilmallock town, barony of Coshma. It was bought by Sir Robert Holmes in 1684, who may have been acting as agent for his brother Thomas. The estate in Waterford consisted of a quarter of the manor of Temple Michael, bought by Thomas Holmes in 1750. This Thomas Holmes was elevated to the peerage as Baron Holmes of Kilmallock in 1760 but the title became extinct four years later when he died childless. His estates passed to the Barons Heytesbury through the female line. Records relating to these estates are located in the Isle of Wight Record Office and refer to a number of families who held land from the Holmes in counties Limerick, Waterford and Wicklow. The Holmes family of Maiden Hall, county Limerick and Carrigmore, county Cork, would appear to be related to the Baron Holmes of Kilmallock and there is one reference to Godfrey Holmes of the parish of Effin in 1855 in the Heytesbury Papers. http://holmesacourt.org/index.htm#toc
- At the end of the 17th century Nicholas Lysaght, a supporter of William III, married Grace, daughter of Colonel Thomas Holmes of Kilmallock, county Limerick and his wife Anne Gibbons, of Mountnorth, county Cork. Grace was also a niece of Sir Robert Holmes, Governor of the Isle of Wight. In 1724 Nicholas Lysaght of Brickfield, county Limerick made his will in which he mentions purchasing his county Cork lands from Randall Chaytor [Clayton] and his county Limerick lands from Richard, Earl of Bellomont. Nicholas and Grace Lysaght's son John became the first Baron Lisle in 1758. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lord Lisle held an estate in the parishes of Effin, Emlygrennan and Kilfinnane, baronies of Coshma and Coshlea, county Limerick, Clonfert and Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow and Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon, county Cork. This estate of over 12,000 acres in counties Cork and Limerick was advertised for sale in November 1869 and unsold portions again in November 1872. The Irish Times reported that Thomas Jamison purchased some of the lots in trust while another lot was purchased by T.H. Downing. Lord Lisle of Queenstown owned 211 acres in county Limerick and 668 acres in county Cork in the 1870s, while his son and heir, George Lysaght, owned 5,408 acres in county Cork.
Head rents and fee farm rents on over 1,550 acres belonging to Mary Bribosia, wife of Francis Bribosia at Curriglass and Lisnabrin, barony of Kinnatalloon and in the baronies of Fermoy and Orrery and Kilmore were advertised for sale in June 1859 and June 1864. http://holmesacourt.org/index.htm#toc
- The representatives of Robert Holmes held at least five townlands in the parish of Imphrick, barony of Fermoy, county Cork, in the early 1850s. The Holmes family were resident at Holmesfort, Shinnanagh, county Cork in the early 19th century but the house fell into decay soon after. The Irish Tourist Association survey states that some of this property had previously belonged to the Roche family, Lords Fermoy. These Holmes are reputed to share a common ancestry with the Holmes of Kilmallock. In 1813 Major Thomas Cornelius Holmes, third son of Cornelius Holmes, married Matilda Bevan. By the mid 19th century they were leasing land to the Sherlock family who had also married into the Bevan family. http://www.theflyingscotsman.ca/sherlock_tree.pdf
The Shinanagh property was advertised for sale in 1852 (see Grove White).