- Burke's (1886) records Robert Cox having received a grant of lands at Ballynoe, county Limerick, in 1637. Ballynoe was in the possession of the Cox family for at least the following two and a half centuries. William Cox held the townland of Ballynoe in the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick, from the Court of Chancery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and the representatives of William Cox held a townland in the parish of Kilcornan, barony of Kenry. Lands belonging to William Cox mainly in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork but also in county Limerick were advertised for sale in February 1851 and lands in the baronies of Kenry and Connello Upper in February 1852 and November 1853 respectively. Griffith's Valuation records him holding lands in the parishes of Rathgoggan and Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. In the 1870s William Cox of Ballynoe owned 843 acres in the county and Robert H. Cox of Ballyneale owned 408 acres.
In May 1886 William Cox's property at Ballynoe was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court but the sale was adjourned due to absence of bidding.