- Harper Campbell developed extensive business interests in Sligo in the 19th century. The family resided at "the Hermitage" until it was purchased from them by Sligo Grammer School c.1947. The Campbell estate also held significant property around the town of Ballysadare, including 150 acres of untenanted land in 1906. They also held lands in the barony of Tireragh. The Congested Districts Board later acquired over 300 acres of the Campbell estate.