- The Bourkes were settled at Dromsally, county Limerick at the beginning of the 18th century. From the first marriage of Richard Bourke of Dromsally, county Tipperary (died 1761) descend the Bourkes of Thornfield and from his second marriage to Mary Donellan descend the Bourkes or De Burghos of Castle Connell baronets. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Sir Richard Bourke of Thornfield, a Lieutenant General who had served as Governor of New South Wales in the 1830s, held an estate in the parishes of Clonkeen and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam and Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. The two townlands in the parish of Clonkeen were held from John Lucas. In the 1870s Richard Bourke of Thornfield owned 948 acres in county Limerick and 418 acres in county Tipperary. In 1844 Richard Bourke, son of Sir Richard, married Anne O'Grady of Kilballyowen. Their great grandson Gerard Bourke was still resident at Thornfield in 2004. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010120b.htm
De Burgho (Castleconnell)
- Lewis wrote that the Bourkes were connected with the parish of Stradbally from the 12th century. This family share a common ancestry with the Bourkes of Thornfield, Lisnagry, county Limerick. Richard Bourke, son of John Bourke and his second wife, Mary Donellan, assumed the name De Burgho and was created a baronet in 1785. By his second wife ,Elizabeth Dwyer, he had two sons, Richard and John Allen, who succeeded as 2nd and 3rd baronets. Sir Richard Donellan de Burgho, 4th baronet, was the only son of Sir John and his wife Anne Waller of Castle Waller and when he died in 1873 the title became extinct. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the De Burghos held at least ten townlands in the parish of Stradbally including most of the town of Castleconnell. They also held land in the parish of Tuogh, barony of Owneybeg, including Dromsallagh, where the Bourke family had lived in the early 18th century. Lady De Burgho of Castleconnell (Catherine Brazier of Rivers, county Limerick) owned 3,844 acres in county Limerick and 372 acres in county Wexford in the 1870s.
- A Shropshire family who were established at Caherline, county Limerick by the end of the 17th century. The senior branch of this family remained at Caherline throughout the following two centuries while junior branches settled at Mountminnett, High Park, Strand House and in county Clare. [The evidence seems to suggest that the Gabbetts originally lived in the townland of Caherline, parish of Ballybrood and then in a house called Caherline at Lisnagry near Limerick city]. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Henry Gabbett held an estate in the parish of Ballybrood, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s his son Richard J. Gabbett of Caherline owned just over a thousand acres in county Limerick. The Mountminnett branch of the family were descended from John Gabbett third son of William Gabbett of Caherline. In 1713 John married Mary Apjohn and their descendants, successive generations named William, continued to live at Mountminnett into the late 19th century when William Gabbett of Mountminnett is recorded as owning 397 acres.
- In the mid 19th century General Hall held land in the parish of Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. General Gage John Hall was the son of Captain John Hall and Jane Dwyer, daughter of Anthony Dwyer of Singleton, county Limerick. He was Governor of Mauritius 1817-1818 and had a distinguished military career. His sister Elizabeth married Sir John Allen de Burgho 3rd Baronet. General Hall lived at Elmfield House, Exeter and died on 18 April 1854. The Hall estate at Castlelake was advertised for sale in June 1867. The owners were given as John Canny, Gage John Hall Canny, Edward Lee Townsend and his wife Elizabeth otherwise Canny, Isabella Canny, John Shurmer and his wife Sarah otherwise Canny and Anna Hodge Canny. A small part of the estate was held on a lease from William and Thomas Quin to Major General Hall and Francis Dwyer dated 1824. The rest was held in fee simple.