- Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' indicates that the first of this family to be established in Ireland was Richard Townsend, an officer in the Cromwellian army, who acquired Castle Townsend and other lands in west Cork in the late 1660s (6,543 acres). The estate of Richard M.F. Townsend amounted to over 7100 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Burke notes that this property was inherited by virtue of descent from the Knight of Kerry. The Ordnance Survey Field Name Books had reported that Capt Hickson of Dingle acted as agent for the Townsend estate in that area. The representatives of the late Rev. Maurice Townsend owned over 8000 acres in county Cork at the same time. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Rev. Maurice was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castlehaven and also held townlands in other parishes in the same barony including Creagh, Drinagh, Dromdaleague, Kilmacabea, Myross and Skull. John Sealy Townsend, a barrister and descended from the Castletownsend family, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Ross and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Samuel Townsend of Skibbereen was among the lessors in the parish of Drinagh, at the same time. In 1874, over 100 acres of Samuel Nugent Townsend's estate in West Carbery was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court.
- The Townsend family in West Cork derive from Colonel Richard Townsend, an officer in the Cromwellian army. The branch of the family based at Scartagh , near Clonakilty, derived from his grandson, John Townsend. Townsend family history suggests he was a lawyer and active in the local government of Clonakilty in the eighteenth century. See http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/tree/home.php
Townsend (Derry & Myross Wood)
- The Townsend estates in west Cork derive from Colonel Richard Townsend, an officer in the Cromwellian army. Family records indicate that this branch is descended from his grandson, Phillip Townsend. Various members of the family, based at Derry and at Myross Wood, augmented their landholding through the eighteenth and into the nineteenth centuries. See Townsend Family Records at http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/tree/home.php.
John H. Townsend of Myross Wood, county Cork, owned over 6000 acres in the county in the 1870s. He was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Myross, Caheragh and Drinagh, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Reverend Chambre C Townsend held townlands in the parishes of Ross and Kilmacabea, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. He was descended from Reverend Horatio Townsend of Derry. In November 1850 the rental of lands in the barony of West Carbery, the property of Jonas M. and John Henry Townsend, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Over 400 acres of lands in East Carbery, the property of John Townsend, were offered for sale in the court in June 1856. Later, in April 1858, 300 acres, the property of John Handcock Townsend and others, was advertised for sale in the court. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers.
- Judge John Fitzhenry Townsend, of Seafield, Castletownsend, owned over 600 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. He was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcoe, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. For more information see Townsend Family Records at http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/tree/record.php?ref=250
- The Townsend family in west Cork are descended from Colonel Richard Townsend, an officer in the Cromwellian army. His grandson, Samuel Townsend, settled on the Whitehall estate in the 1690s, after it had been forfeited by his cousin James Coppinger. In the 1870s Samuel Richard Townsend owned over 700 acres in county Cork. The property continued in the family's ownership until the twentieth century. See Townsend Family Records at http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/tree/houses.php#whitehall