- At the beginning of the 19th century William Smith, an attorney, had an estate in the western part of the county of Limerick, mainly in the baronies of Connello Lower and Shanid. Caleb Powell in his list of Jurors states that the Smiths were descended from Thomas Smyth, consecrated Bishop of Limerick in 1695. In 1774 William Smith purchased the lease of Cahermoyle from Boles Felan who held the property from the Southwell family. He was married to Grace Stevelly and died in 1809 leaving his two daughters as co heiresses. In 1799 Charlotte had married Sir Edward O'Brien baronet of Dromoland and it was their second son William Smith O'Brien, one of the leaders of the Young Ireland movement, who eventually inherited the Smith estate of Cahermoyle through his mother. Charlotte's sister Harriet married Thomas Arthur of Glenomera, county Clare. In 1864 William Smith O'Brien was succeeded by his son William Edward O'Brien who married Mary Spring Rice, sister of the 2nd Baron Monteagle of Brandon. Cahermoyle was sold by their son Dermod O'Brien in 1919.
Staveley/Stevelly (Co Limerick)
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Jones Stavelly held an estate in the parishes of Monagay, barony of Glenquin and Cloncrew, Dromcolleher and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. In the 1870s James Butler Stavelly of Croydon Park, Fairview, county Dublin, owned 4,169 acres in county Limerick. Robert Jones Staveley appears to be the son of Jones Staveley who was a son of Robert Staveley and Sarah Jones. Jones Staveley was a Judge in the High Court of Ireland. Robert J. Staveley married Maria Butler and had a number of children, for further information see http://www.staveley-genealogy.com/dublin.htm
- The Langton family were settled at Bruree, county Limerick, from at least the early 18th century. They intermarried with the Newman and Stavelly families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Langton held an estate in the parish of Bruree, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick, including the village of Bruree. Earlier, circa 1840, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Book refers to James Langton of France holding land in the parish. In November 1853 the estate of James Langton amounting to over 1,200 acres and including the village of Bruree was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The village of Bruree was advertised for sale again in August 1874. The owners included Henry Crofton Stavely who in 1855 had married Maria Augusta Langton and emigrated to Australia. see http://www.staveley-genealogy.com/dublin.htm
Staveley/Stevelly (Co Cork)
- The Staveley genealogy states that Robert Staveley, a linen merchant, was born in county Antrim in 1716 and married Sarah Jones in 1745. This couple settled in Cork and had at least 12 children. Their eldest son Robert moved to live in Dublin, their daughter Grace was the grandmother of William Smith O'Brien and other family members remained in Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Staveleys held land in the parishes of Athnowen, barony of East Muskerry and Mourneabbey, barony of Barretts. In the 1870s the Reverend George Stavely of Dublin owned 277 acres and John Stavely of Ovens owned 307 acres in county Cork.