- At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Tomkins estate was in the parish of Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick and was held from the Christmas family of county Waterford. The estate of George Tomkins was advertised for sale in July 1861 and again in May 1862. It was comprised of 1,142 acres and held on a lease dated 1858 William Christmas to George Tomkins. The original lease was dated 1783 from William and Thomas Christmas to James Hewson. George Tomkins was the only son of Major Tomkins of the city of Limerick militia. In September 1842 he married Catherine Jane daughter of Richard Young, of Collkeiragh House, county Londonderry, (''The Banner of Ulster'', 30 September, 1842).
- Thomas Christmas was granted land in county Waterford in 1666. His descendants lived at Whitfield Court until the late 19th century. Sadlier, referring to the 1770s notes William Christmas "of Whitfield". At the time of the first Ordnance Survey William Christmas of county Waterford was recorded as the proprietor of six townlands in the parish of Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick. Most of his land was leased to George Tuthill of Faha and George Tomkins. At the time of Griffith's Valuation W. Christmas held land in the parishes of Kiltegan and Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary and in the parishes of Killoteran, Kilmeadan, Lisnakill and Reisk, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford. In May 1862 William Christmas's estates, 4,000+ acres, in the counties of Kilkenny, Tipperary, Wexford and Limerick were advertised for sale. George Tomkins was the tenant of the 1,043 acres in county Limerick and Henry Cole Bowen, Henry O'Shea and John Riall of the 712 acres in the barony of Iffa and Offa estate in county Tipperary. Mrs Octavia Christmas of Cheltenham owned 4,025 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s.