Mahon (Beech Hill)
- The Mahons of Beech Hill, near Loughrea, county Galway, were a branch of the Mahon family of Castlegar. In 1672 Slice, daughter of Thomas Cullen married James Mahon, son of Bryan Mahon. The Beech Hill estate was originally in the possession of the Cullen family. In 1814 Beech Hill was the residence of Bernard Mahon. The estate of James Cullen Mahon at Beech Hill was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in July 1851. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the property was in the possession of Edward Villiers.
Villiers (Kilpeacon & Beech Hill)
- The Reverend Fitzgerald in a footnote in his book gives an account of the owners of Kilpeacon, county Limerick. The castle was originally the property of Sir William King. As he had no direct heirs it passed to his grand nephews Richard and Edward Villiers who also died childless. The property then passed to their nephew Joseph Crips of Edwardstown, who took the name Villiers. Edward Villiers the proprietor in the 1820s was his grandson. In the early 1840s the whole parish of Kilpeacon was held by the representatives of Edward Villiers. In the mid 19th century Edward Cripps Villiers owned an estate in the parishes of Kilpeacon, baronies of Smallcounty and Pubblebrien and Ballycahane and Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick. His county Limerick estate, which included houses in the city of Limerick, plus a fee farm rent on lands in county Clare and some land in county Kilkenny were first advertised for sale in July 1850. Kilpeacon was sold to Major George Gavin. Edward C. Villiers appears to have bought the Beech Hill estate, parish of Grange, barony of Kilconnell, in county Galway, at this time. He was in possession of the Beech Hill estate in 1855. In the 1870s Edward C. Villiers estate in county Galway amounted to over 500 acres and his representatives owned 118 acres in county Limerick. In 1906 Villiers was in possession of almost 500 acres of untenanted demesne land at Grange including Beech Hill House valued at £26.
- The Tuthill family settled in county Limerick in the early 18th century. John Tuthill of Kilmore was the eldest son of George Tuthill's 1740 marriage to Dorothea Villiers of county Kilkenny. His younger brother was Christopher Tuthill of Faha. John Tuthill assumed the name of Villiers in March 1794 in accordance with the will of his uncle Edward Villiers of Kilpeacon and married Elizabeth Jackson of Fanningstown. They had 5 sons including Christopher Devonsher Tuthill from whom the Tuthills of Moyglare, county Kildare descend. The eldest son George Tuthill of Kilmore & Ballyteigue, county Limerick married Catherine daughter of Henry Langley of Lisnamrock Castle, county Tipperary. John L. Tuthill held land in the parishes of Caherconlish and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Croagh, barony of Connello Lower in the 1850s. The estate of John and George Tuthill amounting to 1,312 acres including Mulkear was advertised for sale in July 1854. The purchasers included Archdeacon Tisdall and Mr. Hugh Stanley while other parts of the property were purchased in trust. Captain William Tuthill of Moyglare owned 286 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s and a further 821 acres in the same county in association with William Bredin. In 1792 George Tuthill of Kilmore, the eldest son of John and Elizabeth, married Catherine Langley of Lisnamrock, county Tipperary and their grandsons eventually emigrated to Australia and the USA. In February 1851 the lands of Greenhills were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, the purchaser was William Johnstone.
- Lands held by Gore Henry Hughes and James Butler Hughes from Michael Gavin were advertised for sale in February 1852 under an order of the Court dated 23 October 1850 see ''The Irish Jurist'' Vol 3 (1851), p. 152. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael Gavin held land in the parishes of St Nicholas, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick and Relickmurry & Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Major George Gavin of Kilpeacon House owned 738 acres in county Limerick while the representatives of Captain Michael Gavin of Barrington Street, Limerick owned 145 acres in county Limerick and 907 acres in county Tipperary. The estate of Captain Michael Gavin deceased in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and in the South Liberties of Limerick city was advertised for sale by the trustees of the Captain's will in January 1877. Major George Gavin had bought Kilpeacon from the Commissioners for the sale of Encumbered Estates in the 1850s. Major George O'Halloran Gavin was the son of Michael Gavin of Limerick and his wife Margaret O'Halloran and he married Jane daughter of Montiford Westropp of Mellon. He was a Major in the 16th Lancers and Liberal Member of Parliament for Limerick. The Major died in 1880. One of his sons Montiford Westropp Gavin, born 1858, played cricket for Ireland in 1890 and died at Kilpeacon in 1922.
- This family held land in county Limerick in the 18th and early 19th centuries. In 1866 Lenihan wrote that the Cripps were then represented by John Gleeson, a solicitor of Limerick, who had married the daughter of the 'late' Alderman John Cripps, the last make representative of the family.