- Jasper Joly writes in his 1969 account of his family that in 1835 the Reverend Henry Edward Joly (1784-1852) purchased about 1,500 acres of land in the barony of Moyarta (Garlbrace, Troscleeve etc), near Carrigaholt, county Clare, from Lord William Fitzgerald, for £11,000. The Reverend Henry E. Joly was the second son of Jean Jaspar Joly and was born at Leinster House, Dublin. He also bought land near Clonbolougue in county Offaly. In his will he left his county Clare estate to his two sons Jaspar Robert Joly and Henry Charles Joly. The estate was bought by the Land Commission in the early 20th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Jolly/Joly family, Mrs M, Henry and Jasper, held land in county Clare in the parishes of Kilfinaghta and Kilfintinan, barony of Bunratty Lower, Moyarta and Kilballyowen, barony of Moyarta. In the 1870s. Dr Jasper Joly of Dublin owned 1,952 acres in county Clare and Henry Joly of Clonbullock, King's county [county Offaly] owned 469 acres in the same county. Dr Jasper Robert Joly was born at Clonast, county Kildare in 1819 where his father was the rector. When Dr Joly died he left his book collection of over 23,000 volumes to the Royal Dublin Society and in 1877 it became the nucleus of the National Library of Ireland.